First Dive in Bali in 2 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just got back from a trip to Tulamben staying at Liberty Dive Resort. The diving was excellent and the sea flattened out after the first day.
What surprised me was how few divers were there, the resort only had 3 divers staying and only a couple of one-day divers during my week's stay.
The hassles on entry to Bali that I read about were about the same as it has always been. The people have done it very tough as there is no government support at all. I spent as much as I could and left some stuff behind me.
It's time to pack your bags and get over there, this time next year it will be packed.

Just got back from a trip to Tulamben staying at Liberty Dive Resort. The diving was excellent and the sea flattened out after the first day.
What surprised me was how few divers were there, the resort only had 3 divers staying and only a couple of one-day divers during my week's stay.
The hassles on entry to Bali that I read about were about the same as it has always been. The people have done it very tough as there is no government support at all. I spent as much as I could and left some stuff behind me.
It's time to pack your bags and get over there, this time next year it will be packed.
Thank you for your understanding for the touch situation the tourism sector is in. I am very surprised that you are surprised. Some groups of visitors who used to come to Indonesia in large numbers cannot travel at all. For example Russians and Chinese. The financial situation for many people in Europe is very worrying. With some energy prices six fold up. Flight tickets, especially the domestic flights in Indonesia, tripled or more in price. And the Euro became 10% weaker against the Indonesian Rupiah.
For the hotels, resorts and live a boards in Indonesia and other neighboring countries the situation is extremely difficult. Often deposit payments received in 2019 have been used for the most necessary maintenance (engines, compressors, electrical equipment, water pumps, generators), paying bills, re-paying loans, taxes, and support of their employees. And now the renovation and replacements need more money again. No support from the government and negative support from the banks.
We all need guests with your level of understanding. We often experience the complete opposite. We get almost daily inquiries in which it is made very clear: 'looking for best deal', 'discount because we know you need the money', 'traveling a year on a budget', ' I am an instructor' , 'I am a photographer ' and more.

How we try to deal with it here at Divers Lodge Lembeh? We closed 2 of our 3 resorts. And we do our best to offer even a better service than we did the last 20 years. While we hope that our guests understand this and that they are willing to pay a fair price for this service.

Indah, thanks for a comprehensive explanation of the issues you face. I am sure or hopeful at least that this situation should improve. In Ubud (Bali), the place was very busy and a local driver said that it was completely empty only a few months ago.
There are always bargain hunters out there, I go to LDR as I have stayed there over the last 10 years and know all the staff and this makes a difference I think.
Wishing you the best of luck but you most probably don't need it as you are situated in one of the best dive sites in the world.

The hassles on entry to Bali that I read about were about the same as it has always been.

Can you explain what you mean by the "hassles of on entry to Bali"? I'm looking to visit for the first time soon, and want to know of any potential issues.

Can you explain what you mean by the "hassles of on entry to Bali"? I'm looking to visit for the first time soon, and want to know of any potential issues.
Maybe just long times to exit the airport. Visa On Arrival is now available whereas before you needed an agent to get a special social visa and for me I would not pay the asking money for that.

Thank you for your understanding for the touch situation the tourism sector is in. I am very surprised that you are surprised. Some groups of visitors who used to come to Indonesia in large numbers cannot travel at all.

How we try to deal with it here at Divers Lodge Lembeh? We closed 2 of our 3 resorts. And we do our best to offer even a better service than we did the last 20 years. While we hope that our guests understand this and that they are willing to pay a fair price for this service.

Hi Indah. I have followed your posts. My current Bali trip is with budget conscious divers next week. However I am diving in Bohol in October with a UK friend and we do not have money spending issues. I want to get him to Bali and he is fine with paying for upscale comforts. Next year I will try and convince him to get to your area. He likes some nightlife but a week in a quieter area he can handle lol.

Thing is there will no longer be cheap airfares as in the past. For many this means tighter budgets for their vacations. Tourism may pickup but diving tourism is a niche market. I will be in Tulamben for 5 days next week staying at Matahari.
Planning on doing one early sunrise dive at Liberty to see the Bumphead and also will do a night dive at Liberty as well.

Blackcrusader is right but it is no more difficult than before Covid. So I should have said it is all back to normal. No special req assuming you have 3 vacs. Pic up the visa at the airport on arrival and out of there. Certainly quicker than Sydney airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom