First dive in a bp/w - how much weight will I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OU

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am leaving behind the jacket-style BC and about to test my new bp/w. I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind helping me out with determining the appropriate amount of lead for my particular equipment configuration.

Here we go: (I have included the amount of weight I think I may need for each component)

My stats: 6' 0'' and 210lbs
My gear:
3mm full wetsuit (hyperstretch) (+8 lbs)
2.5 mm hooded vest (+3 lbs)
5mm boots (+0.5 lbs)
5mm gloves (+0.5 lbs)

So far I am at +12 lbs...

Integrated weight:
6# SS backplate (-6 lbs)
6# weighted single tank adapter (-6 lbs)

This takes me back to zero. Now add 5 lbs for the Al-80 tank, and I should only need 5 or 6 lbs of lead to get started for a fresh water dive right? Am I forgetting or miscalculating anything? Thanks in advance!

6 lbs less than you use now

I don't use a weight belt with mine in warm water with a 3/2 full suit. I use 8 lbs on my belt with my drysuit in the cold water.

I'm 6'1" 195

I cant comment a whole lot on your weight needs with your old set up, but all you need to do is take you old weight and drop 12 lbs. You might be able to drop a pound or two extra due to the lack of bouyant fabric.

I used to dive with 8 to 10 lbs of lead with my jacket-style BC, so I may need to take off the weighted tank adapter!

I agree, you may want to lose the weighted STA, switch to an unweighted STA, or switch to an aluminum plate.

Generally a BC is 1-2 lbs positive. You're switching to a plate that is -6, plus the -6 STA for -12 lbs overall change, assuming the rest of your gear stays the same. If you were only carrying 8-10 lbs, you're going to be overweighted... which might not be a bad thing for a trial run, but you're likely to want to get that weight down eventually. I'd say drop the weighted STA and instead put a couple pounds on your tank straps. (8 lbs total should be a good start, I think)

I dive in a 2/3 mm suit in warm water and with a ss plate and sta I only use 2 lb of lead. I would guess that you will probably only need about 4 lb of lead. I would try it with with the adapter weight, breath your tank down and do a check at the end of the dive. then drop weight until you can just stay down with a low tank.

Since you're talking freshwater, if you still have your old BC you could always throw it in the bathtub and see how positive it is. Then account for that loss of buoyancy in your weight calculations.

Even if the SS BP and weighted tank adapter provide the weight you need, it still might not be distributed correctly and could screw up your trim. You might have to move weigth around after see how you feel in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom