First Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lplace

Reaction score
On my first dive computer I have decided I want air integration. I am not totally sold whether I want hoseless or not. So far I have narrowed it down to the following units:

Suunto Cobra
Suunto Vytec (when it comes out)
Cochran Gemini +
Aeris 500AI
Aeris 750GT
Possiblly a Uwatec unit, but I haven't had a chance to look at these yet.

Those of you who have used one of these computers what are the plusses and minuses of that computer? If you have used different ones when one did you like better? Are there any other models I should consider?

Thanks

Logan

I haven't purchased one yet but if you're at all interested in computer software to download your dives to, the Uwatec software is awesome. I have looked at a few and it seems to be the best. You can download it yourself for a demo. Same with the Suunto software.

No...Software is not really a concern of mine, though I would like to have the ability to download my dives to my computer

You might also consider the Oceanic Data Trans, and the Datamax Pro Plus. The computers are made by Pelagic, who also makes the Aeris models. Very similar. I have the DMPP, and am happy with it, but if I was starting over, I'd lean toward the Vytec.

Do you plan on getting into any technical diving?

I dive with a Suunto Cobra. I like it a lot.
If your going to dive Nitrox, leave it in Nitrox mode (it will automatically default to 21%) otherwise you can't change modes for 24 hrs.

I like the Suunto dive manager too! all my dives are logged on paper and on my PC.

Unfortunately the Cobra is all the computer I'll ever need. Therefore I don't have an excuse to get the Vytec, damn! :wink:

Suunto

You are looking at computers that give you a few choices.

1 Conservative: if you are worried about "getting bent" onn computer, a conservative one is the way to go. Try the Suunto computers. I had a Favor that I was happy with.

2 Liberal: if you want to maximize your dive time, try the Aeris or Oceanic Computers. I had an Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus (my SO has one now) and I currently have an Aeris 500AI. I am happy with both. I dove on Sunday with her and we did a dive to 65 feet for 64 minutes(EANx36), followed by a 40 minute SI with a dive to 62 feet for 54 minutes(EANx32).

3 Hose model/hoseless I have heard of people with hoseless models having difficulty with the datalink, but I have no experience with them, so I can't tell you.

I have or have had all of the following computers, and here they are, in order of preference:

1 Aeris 500AI ----- I really like this one.

2 Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus---- I like it, but the display and quick disconnect made me switch to the 500AI.

3 Suunto Favor Air Lux -----I liked it, but it was not nitrox compatible. GF and I gave it away to a friend when we went to Nitrox, and she still uses and likes it.

4 Suunto Favor (was a wrist mount backup to the Favor Air)

Hope this helps.

I agree with Tavi.

I have the Cobra and it's great-but it is not hoseless. With U/W photography I have so much stuff to carry it would be nice to have one less thing to get entangled in-hose in this case.

The Vytec looks ssssooo cool. But it's almost twice the price of a Cobra. It's very convenient just to glance at your wrist than to find the hose to your dive computer and look at it. It sounds minimally challenging but U/W every little thing that makes diving easier is a God send.

:mean:
I do not have the air intergrated as yet, but I do have a Uwatec and it is great. It holds 19 dives, and you can down load it on to your PC. Plus when I was doing research it had was rated very high in safety. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

:mean: Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom