First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• Shearwater computers might be among the best you can get for dives with mandatory decompression stops.
  • Ratio computers are also popular in areas where they are affordable.
  • The Divecomputer.eu (some other brand name is US) is half the price, but the shop is small and service slow. Many will advocate against it.
  • Some people swear by bottom timers and memorized simplified decompression rules.

• Shearwater computers might be among the best you can get for dives with mandatory decompression stops.
Or those within NDL, though in that case you may not be using all the computer can offer.
  • Ratio computers are also popular in areas where they are affordable.
And supported. Might not be a great choice in NA simply because there are not a lot of shops that carry them.

And supported. Might not be a great choice in NA simply because there are not a lot of shops that carry them.

They are actually available in lots of places now including FL. Support comes through Ratio's distributor in the US and isn't an issue at all.

They are actually available in lots of places now including FL. Support comes through Ratio's distributor in the US and isn't an issue at all.
That’s good, but their website needs to be updated then.

Previously, when I looked, there were 4 retail locations in FL. Two in the Tampa Bay area, and two in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. That left a lot of the state with a long drive. Currently, their website lists only the NA distributor, so I really have no idea where I might find one.

Agreed on service, though.

I really did look closely at Ratio before I bought my Perdix. Lack of retail locations, and the proprietary transmitter were the main detractors.

That’s good, but their website needs to be updated then.

Previously, when I looked, there were 4 retail locations in FL. Two in the Tampa Bay area, and two in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. That left a lot of the state with a long drive. Currently, their website lists only the NA distributor, so I really have no idea where I might find one.

Agreed on service, though.

I really did look closely at Ratio before I bought my Perdix. Lack of retail locations, and the proprietary transmitter were the main detractors.
They are even available up here in Ontario Canada

I can, but for this type of purchase, I prefer to do in person. I also like to support my local dive shops that deserve my support.
Agreed - I like to actually see things like this in person - to be able pick it up, handle it, see how it feels on my wrist and to operate it - vs buying online an maybe not liking it and then have created all the waste associated with shipping back and forth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom