Question First Dive computer Suunto D5 or Garmin G1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber Hu

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. Im a new diver just finished diving to Sipadan. Its wonderful and want to keep diving.
But i want my first dive computer.
Budget is not many. im considering Suunto D5 or Garmin G1.
Any advise on these? Which one will be better.:wink:
Thanks a lot
(actually im in China, hard to find other brand, or i need buy from other country)

This is a difficult question to answer, because "better" is very subjective - a lot depends on the kind of diving you do (and foresee yourself doing in the future) and what features are most important to you. Like you, I am a new diver and am constantly comparing features of computers while I attempt to make up my mind as to what I really want. For now I have a very basic computer that I acquired second-hand at a very good price that does what I need "at the moment".

For me, the Suunto D5 would be "better" because of the color screen, included AI support (although that involves the additional cost of a transmitter to make use of it) and built-in support in my dive logging software of choice (Subsurface - although apparently you can import the G1 logs into Subsurface with a workaround that you can find here on ScubaBoard, so that might not be a factor for me after all).

On the other hand, for me the G1 would be "better" due to the longer battery duration (only 6-12 dive hours on the D5 according to its manual, the G1 manual states 25 dive hours) and the support for tracking topside activities (excercise, heart rate, etc).

For the kind of diving that I do, the differences between the Suunto "Fused" RGBM 2 algorithm and the Buhlmann ZHL-16C algorithm implemented in the Garmin Descent G1 likely wouldn't be a factor. However, if you are (or plan to be) doing repetive dives with short surface intervals over multiple days, or are prone to rapid ascents (along with a few other factors mentioned in the D5 user guide), then the Garmin Descent G1 may be better for you in terms of the algorithm. I stress may because the D5 appears to be quite different from its predecessors in this regard - perhaps a D5 owner could help both of us out here.

(SB members reading that comment about the algorithms - please be kind if you post about it. I know it is a contentious topic here - but the OP and I are both new and this is a "Learning Zone" :wink:)

I have been diving a Suunto Cobra for about 25 years. It has never failed me or locked me out in all that time and I am by no means a conservative diver. There is nothing wrong with Suunto dive computers or they would not have been in business for so many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom