First dive and certification...things to keep in mind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second most important thing is.... Move Less.
^ This!

I ask my students what they think a good diver looks like and have a conversation about slow, deliberate movements that are efficient and body positioning to minimize effort/gas consumption. I don't think just relaxing/breathing, enjoying what one sees is emphasized enough. And when you see an eagle ray at 70 feet, don't chase off after it, as there is no way you are catching up and you are going to blow through a bunch of gas in your wasted effort.

However, if your dive guide does motion you to follow and they start kicking fast, chances are there is something interesting to see that if you don't hurry, you will miss (like the 3 dolphins playing in Belize - I just made it, making the gas expenditure worth it).

I have read all your replies and have taken them to heart, thank you to all!

@BoundForElsewhere This is an amazing point on all levels, especially the part on not moving so much.

Anything else that you wish you knew going in to your first dive that I should keep in mind?
If your Open Water instructor asks you to perform more than one Out Of Air ascent from depth, ask to see their instructor manual or report them.
Your instructor, if he or she is any good will walk you through the equalization process in a safe and organized manor.
How would a novice diver know if the instructor is any good? Just remind yourself about the fatalities involving instructors training students.

Watch the skills videos online and practice them in front of a mirror.

Practice moving slow and steady. Minimize your movement and keep track of your breathing. Your breathing rate should stay nice and steady.

And remember to smile. You're going to have the best time of your life.

Unless you have some reason to believe you will have more difficulty than the average student, just do what you were taught and you’ll almost certainly be fine.

Keep in mind that the reason the topic of people having difficulty equalizing seemingly comes up so frequently here is that that’s what we do here: help each other with problems. Most problems are rare. Diving is easy. Tens of thousands of students just did what they were taught, never gave it a second thought, and are now blissfully diving away.

I can't wait until August to go diving.

This is what will happen to you. You will start planning your next trip as soon as you get back from the last one, or sooner. All your conversations will revolve around scuba, all your money will go into scuba. Remember what Hank Azaria said in Along Came Polly? "Are you for scuba?" This will now be your opening line for every conversation.
1655474232988.png

Scuba will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. When I got certified last year, I can honestly say I started to tear up on my first open water dive. I waited for that moment my whole life from when I was a child, to be in the ocean and breath like a fish. Don't overthink injury. Be a conservative diver, and stay on top of gear and its condition, and accent and decent rates. I thought I would have a hard time with equalization, but my instructor was great and I stared to pinch and blow lightly as soon as my head was under the water. Lightly blowing out every few feet made it very manageable and if I had a issue I just ascended a few feet. Don't forget that mask equalization is very important too, you do not want to end up with a nasty mask squeeze. Just blow out your nose often on decent and don't let pressure build up and it will be fine. Nitrox will be good for the extra buffer against DCS, even when diving shallow 15-30ft I use 38-40% EAN to be extra safe, even if the dive store people say its not needed. It makes me feel more safe, in turn giving me a better mind set. Train good, stay alert, and you will be just fine and have the best experience possible ! Safe diving!! have fun!

Unless you have some reason to believe you will have more difficulty than the average student, just do what you were taught and you’ll almost certainly be fine.

Keep in mind that the reason the topic of people having difficulty equalizing seemingly comes up so frequently here is that that’s what we do here: help each other with problems. Most problems are rare. Diving is easy. Tens of thousands of students just did what they were taught, never gave it a second thought, and are now blissfully diving away.

I don't see any reason why I would have any difficulty. I think I just anticipated things being more difficult than they really are given all the equalization problems I see on here but I suppose that's just a magnification of something that isn't as frequent as it appears to be as you have eluded to.

I can't wait until August to go diving.

This is what will happen to you. You will start planning your next trip as soon as you get back from the last one, or sooner. All your conversations will revolve around scuba, all your money will go into scuba. Remember what Hank Azaria said in Along Came Polly? "Are you for scuba?" This will now be your opening line for every conversation.
View attachment 728878

Haha I have a few dive trips planned already but they require a certain number of dives under your belt before you can go. As for money, I'll have to divert funds from other activities if I do end up getting addicted to this :)

Scuba will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. When I got certified last year, I can honestly say I started to tear up on my first open water dive. I waited for that moment my whole life from when I was a child, to be in the ocean and breath like a fish. Don't overthink injury. Be a conservative diver, and stay on top of gear and its condition, and accent and decent rates. I thought I would have a hard time with equalization, but my instructor was great and I stared to pinch and blow lightly as soon as my head was under the water. Lightly blowing out every few feet made it very manageable and if I had a issue I just ascended a few feet. Don't forget that mask equalization is very important too, you do not want to end up with a nasty mask squeeze. Just blow out your nose often on decent and don't let pressure build up and it will be fine. Nitrox will be good for the extra buffer against DCS, even when diving shallow 15-30ft I use 38-40% EAN to be extra safe, even if the dive store people say its not needed. It makes me feel more safe, in turn giving me a better mind set. Train good, stay alert, and you will be just fine and have the best experience possible ! Safe diving!! have fun!

Lots of good stuff to keep in mind, thank you! I think being a conservative diver is an excellent way to approach this.

I can totally relate to your nervousness before the first time, I was the same and unfortunately blowed the “window” in the ear right before my OW course cuz I tried to equalize to hard when I was out swimming and playing around.
This delayed my ow for another two months but what I learned from this is that equalizing should be easy. After this lesson I never had issues equalizing when I actually started diving because I was very careful doing it. As mentioned many times, start before the dive and very gently equalize and do it often on the way down but NEVER force it. Just ascend a bit and try again until you succeed. And one very important thing is that it’s never wrong to cancel a dive if it doesn’t feel right, no matter if it’s pain or just a feeling. There will always be more dives and any good buddy (or any buddy) will never blame you for it.

So just relax and enjoy the diving and take it slow and in ur pace and I can assure you that you will have an amazing time! Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom