First Dive After Seven Year Hiatus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been reading about wreck diving and it interests me a great deal. Based on your post, I read about the Chester Poling. Very cool. I plan to take the wreck baby intro as part of my AOW, so I can see where it will lead me.

The Coast Guard Marine Board of investigation is long and detailed, but take a look at the description of the rescues, particularly where the authors quote the survivors directly. It will chill you to the bone even if you’re in a steam bath.
Great courage all around.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CG-5PC/INV/docs/boards/chesterpoling.pdf

I’m not impartial here, as retired Coast Guard, stationed (at a nice warm desk) in Boston at the time. I knew several of the rescuers. So it was a meaningful dive for me.

Happy to have another scuba-diver back, welcome!

Thank you! It is so good to be back.

Normally, I might recommend a refresher-course or buddy with someone more experienced.

Actually, my LDS did just that, but informally. After buying my exposure suits and dive computer from them, they allowed me to do unlimited pool dives (I did two long ones) in their salt water pool They did not even charge me for the use of their regs, BC, or even the air I used because they wanted me to be safe and ready for my first shore dive.

Each of the two dives I have done, they have paired me with either an instructor who was going along for the ride, or a similarly experienced diver.

I can't say enough good things about these folks.

The Coast Guard Marine Board of investigation is long and detailed, but take a look at the description of the rescues, particularly where the authors quote the survivors directly. It will chill you to the bone even if you’re in a steam bath.
Great courage all around.

Wow. I was a freshman in high school when she sank. She was huge: 281 feet.

I like the way the accident was dissected, with an eye toward improving procedures and equipment going forward. It is the best way to honor a bad outcome.

So it was a meaningful dive for me.

I can imagine. I am glad you were able to see it and pay your respects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom