First Dive After Seven Year Hiatus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick Star

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

Today was my first dive after receiving my OW cert and then almost immediately taking a diving trip to Belize seven years ago. It was awesome.

When I returned from Belize, I swore I would keep at it, but diving in New England has it challenges, and I never got back to it until this morning. 16 of us associated with our LDS dove at Nubble Light House, in York, Maine. The conditions were fantastic. The water was 50 degrees and the visibility was easily 30'. I've been grinning since this morning, and there is no sign of it going away.

AND THE DO IT EVERY SATURDAY!

So for those of you feeling a little rusty, who may have not been diving in quite some time, get back in. The water is indeed fine.

:)

Good way to get back in the saddle. I too have been dry a good while, over a year. But signed up to dive off Gulf Shores Alabama (think Pensacola area) this Saturday.
I respect you for getting it done in 50 degree water, I'm hoping for about 80. I've done some New England dives, but not lately. The Chester Poling stern section wreck off Gloucester is a good one, and an interesting story too.

Thank you both!

I respect you for getting it done in 50 degree water

I don't have a choice here, Nolatom. It's either local diving or getting really, really rusty between very occasional warm water dive trips.

I dove again last Saturday. The water warmed up just a touch, to 53 degrees, but it is a trend that should continue into October. It was beautiful again. The visibility was just a bit less than the time before, but still fantastic for local diving.

My new joke is to say, "What do you folks keep whining about? This visibility is fine, and I'm sure that it's always this way, based on my two dives." :D

I should have been at this seven years ago.

Live and learn...

Good job! I think 50 degree water is refreshing. :D

Thank you Marie. I honestly love the cold water too. Maybe we are just very warm blooded. People at my last two dives talked about how shocking the cold water was on their exposed faces, since everything else was covered up. I said, "Ahhh." when I went under. It felt good!

Maybe ice diving is in my future? But only after I acquire a proper drysuit.

The Chester Poling stern section wreck off Gloucester is a good one, and an interesting story too.

I have been reading about wreck diving and it interests me a great deal. Based on your post, I read about the Chester Poling. Very cool. I plan to take the wreck baby intro as part of my AOW, so I can see where it will lead me.

Thank you Marie. I honestly love the cold water too. Maybe we are just very warm blooded. People at my last two dives talked about how shocking the cold water was on their exposed faces, since everything else was covered up. I said, "Ahhh." when I went under. It felt good!

Maybe ice diving is in my future? But only after I acquire a proper drysuit.

I don’t like heat, then add in the hot flashes… :D

Happy to have another scuba-diver back, welcome!

Normally, I might recommend a refresher-course or buddy with someone more experienced. However, if you've done several dives this year safely, I'd say skip the refresher courses. If you're about to do AOW, I'd suggest getting in a little bit of practice with your compass above-water, and then underwater. It's not "hard" but it's an easy area to mess up if the compass isn't level, you have a junk compass, or get impatient. And of course make sure you're comfortable with your equipment.

I don't envy dives in 50-degree F water; I'm spoiled in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom