first canister dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i dont mind used but id really like something where i dont have to carry multiple batteries around.

The two that i was looking at are these
HID HID Exploration and Video Light Systems by Light Monkey - Dive Gear Express This one doesnt have an E/o connector as far as i know. They describe the split ballast as having the electronics in the canister which makes the light head smaller. Does anyone have a picture of this comparing the standard head vs split head vs LED head?
LED LED Light Systems by Light Monkey - Dive Gear Express

the price difference between the two is 100 dollars so what to do? Everyone seems to speak very highly of light monkey so i think its the brand to go with, but which model and features.

Halcyon uses the ballast in the light head, so look at a picture of their HID and you'll get an idea of the difference in light head size compared to the lights Light Monkey shows on their website.

I am not a fan of E/O connectors, especially for salt water diving, but I have them on a Titan Hydro light and they are not problematic, provided you properly rinse them and don't connect/disconnect them under water.

I have e/o on two cans and 3 light heads, and I've never had an e/o problem. Also, a leak only effects one side of the apparatus (light head or battery). E/Os can be a big plus if you're traveling. Salt water diving requires extra diligence in gear maintenance, and that might not be your cup of tea.

The advantage of the split ballast thing has always eluded me. Its smaller, yeah, but I don't notice a difference at all between my 10w (pretty small) or my 21w (pretty big) in the water. The sacrifice of the e/o option has never been worth it. Over all, I'm very pro-E/O, and its saved a few dives, and even prevented a team mate of mine from exiting a cave on a backup light from 8000' inside a cave.

I'm also a fan of HID over LED. The HID cuts through the murk better, which can be pretty important.

Almost all my fundies instuctor's 21W SALVO HID was dead , and I can give him clear signals with my 35W led any time . And also cut through murky green water at noon. (don't to mention that it eats HID anytime ( but for those who knows lights (I have double aspherics lens inside )) ;-)))

The ballast in the light head makes the light head pretty big -- AJ, David Rhea told me to get rid of mine, because it was too big for my hands! I do enormously prefer the split ballast.

As I said, if I were buying new, I'd go LED, despite my minor gripes with the beam, simply because the long-lasting bulb and lack of ballast will result in the light making fewer trips to Florida with you.

I was going to sell my LED once the HID turned up.. I think i'll now keep it for travel..

! lights.jpg

I have never find my 21W HID with ballast in light head too bothersome in water. It is hard to handle for airplain travel tho.

As for light output, I do notice 21W HID (HOG by LM) punch better than 21W LED (LM), which is a big advantage in my local water. I won't sell the swap my HID to LED at this point. However, if I am to get a new light today, I will go with LED as well, mainly for ease of travel and indestructable nature of the light head.

I carry the Light Monkey 50 HID on every dive. It appears rather large, however I have absolutely no issue bringing it with me on my dives, and I would not trade it for the world! I personally prefer the HID lights over LED as far as the light output is concerned. I personally think you should consider not only getting HID, but consider the 50. Its pricey for a light, but its worth every penny in my opinion. Its actually useful in broad daylight dives. For night dives its just stunning to use, and to watch from the surface too! We usually warn anyone that dives with us that they will most certainly have "light envy" by the end of our dive together. Thats how I ended up with a 50. After diving with someone who owned one, my decision was made.

Back
Top Bottom