First Boat Dive Jitters w/ master diver pal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello:

I am now here on Oahu experiencing the "Cattle Boat" trip.
First time diving in the ocean from a boat after 15 quarry dives post C-card. My old pal is the dive instructor on the boat so he's really understanding about my being a newbie and all. All my practice is really paying off (I consider myself to be a very safe diver) - but when we hit the floor around 32 feet - head off and the dive boat & anchor line dissapears, I get edgy. This master diver is really patient, but when it comes to discussing the exact route on the floor, he feels it is too simple and since its such a shallow dive he plays the route by ear. I've been tagging along with him as he certifies divers and they follow him on 50 minute tours blindly with no concept where they are in relation to the boat after skills are over. He calls me a whimp jokingly and wants to see me go on a "real dive" at 90 feet. I say no way - not ready.

Dont get me wrong - theres wonderfull fish and coral and the vis is unreal. Its just that I completely loose my sense of direction and feel that should something go awray, I might head in the wrong direction in an attempt to make it back to boat (A surface paddle is an option I would rather avoid in a poential bind- the swells here are rather large).

Can anyone relate to this situation? Should I be plotting landmarks with my compass as we go to alleviate my jitters or would this be task overload and leave my life in the hands of the master diver?? How the hell do you divers keep track of where you are on a dive boat trip that is utterly unfamiliar??

I can relate exactly, on my first dive boat I was really nervous thinking what happens if.....

Going down the anchor line thinking how am I going to find this again or what if I read my compass wrong and get lost. Like you my dive buddy is a dive instructor and one of the best things he ever said to me is if you get seperated and can't find the anchor line deploy your SMB and ascend normally. On wrecks it is much easier to pick up visual references and to keep track of where you are going so more often than not I always manage to be aware of where the anchor line is and on reefs I am getting better at it although I will confess that a couple of times we found the line by accident and just let the skipper think we navigated well :wink:

I think the first few open ocean boat dives are stressful for any new diver. It will help you feel more confident if you work on your navigation, and try to keep track of where you are. This will also give you something else, other than your nerves, to think about.

One of my very first night dives from a boat was a wreck of a pipe barge. It was a jumbled debris field with no way to get any bearings from the wreckage. I was with an "experienced" diver and trusted him to navigate. Whlie we were supposedly "on the way back" we crossed one of the other divers guidelines. We were swimming at a right angle to it :upset:

From that point on I took personal responsibility for knowing where I am. Sounds like Phish phood has been there a couple of times too :wink:

This is all part of the learning curve that you will go through. In the meantime, don't let anyone talk you into diving any deeper until you feel good about it.

Enjoy the rest of your dives..........Scott

Thanks, day 3 - taking a rest. I'll practice compass today on land and perhaps purchase a slate for notes. Good to hear this is normal.

..get a safety sausage and a whistle, so if you do have to surface away from the boat, the boat has a much better chance of spotting you. It will also make you more visible to other boats so they don't run you down.

Off to get a sausage and whistle!

Regarding the comment about wanting you to go one a "real dive at 90 feet," personally, I don't get a big rush out of diving deep. My wife and I recently went on a trip to North Carolina for some wreck diving. Every day consisted of two wreck dives in the > 100 ft. range. The wrecks were neat to see, of course, but you end up with a shorter bottom time (i.e. less "diving") and spend a lot of time descending and ascending. We're both fairly new divers, so at this point, just being in the water is a rush. I'd have much rather gone on some shallower dives where we could get more bottom time and see more stuff. Guess it all depends on your priorities.

All our ocean dives to this point have either been guided, in crystal clear water, or on wrecks where lines were run. I can identify with your concerns tho - on our last dive to a sunken U-boat, there were hundreds of baitfish swimming around the wreck. If you got more than a few feet off the wreck, you ran into a wall of fish. Once you got above them, you couldn't really make out the wreck (murky water couples with the fish). This became a bit worrysome when we turned around and headed back to the anchor line.

i think we can all relate to this as an experience we've been through.

two things spring to mind. first, get as much information on the dive plan before you get wet. second, get some navigation experience under your belt. taking a compass bearing or using natural navigation will allow you to have a good idea of where you are at all times and will make you more relaxed during the dive.

Bmuise: I can relate to your experience well. After over 100 dives, I'm still not the best navigator in the world, but I usually can find my way back to the boat. My partner and dive buddy's an awesome navigator, so I'm fortunate.
I can remember my first dives on a liveaboard when the divers weren't asked to stay with a diveguide - or actually when it was just open deck diving and it was just the two of us. We're photographers, so that added just one more distration to keeping oriented. We missed the boat once, surfaced, and then swam to the boat. But, other more experienced divers missed the boat by so much that the boat had to send the dingy after them and tow them back.
Anyway, just work on your navigation skills. Use your compass, remember the dive briefing if they draw you a map, remember the underwater orientation clues, etc.
I'm waiting for the day when navigational beacons become affordable and we all will just have to look at our wrists or consoles to see where the boat is. Until then, just build your confidence in your navigation skills.
Happy diving!
Aloha!
Eric. :tree: :tree: :tree:

bmuise once bubbled...

He calls me a whimp jokingly and wants to see me go on a "real dive" at 90 feet. I say no way - not ready.

Good call. Remember, always dive within your level of training and experience. Peer pressure is often the catalyst for divers getting stressed, anxious or into dangerous situations for which they are not prepared.

As an open water diver you are trained adequately to: "perform open water dives, in daylight hours, to the depth of 60ft or less"

You have also only learned BASIC navigation skills, reciprocal headings. I recommend signing up for an advanced course as soon as possible. This helps build on your basic education as you gain experience. Instructors would much rather build on good habits you have learned than have to break you of bad habits you may have developed on your own. Navigation is a HUGE part of the ADV program (PADI).

Regarding the boat: Stay with the group lead by your DM or instructor. Work on watching your own compass. Work on using natural navigation techniques (bottom contour, sunlight, rock/coral croppings, vegitation etc.).

Perhaps you would consider taking a "boat diver" specialty course. This program focuses mainly on ediquate and procedures ON the boat, which is IMO is a very important step toward being safe, confident and less of a PIA to the other divers on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom