First BCD Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you really don't want to go bpw, one of the smaller/cheaper zeagle back inflates is the least bad non-bpw option.
The Zeagles definitely are not cheap.... they are very well made and you'll end up paying $600 - $800 for new.

If you want cheap, then the BP/W is definitely the way to go.

I feel like we've hit maximum Scubaboard with this thread. It only took a minute for someone to suggest a BPW. Then, for the very next post we get a recommendation for Halcyon. The following response is for a DGX system.

All we need now is for someone to chime in telling OP to avoid split fins and another person to recommend a long-hose primary and a bungee'd octo.
The DGX system is a good rec because it's inexpensive and complete.

The long hose primary donate can wait (perhaps forever). Doesn't matter either way no matter what flavor of BCD is selected.

But yes, good call on avoiding split fins. :)

@NW Dive Dawg they've still got 3 options under 500 between the covert/stiletto/express tech. the covert has enough lift to do some mixed duty for cold water too if you don't mind using a weight belt to cover extra ballast that doesn't fit in its somewhat small pockets.

@NW Dive Dawg they've still got 3 options under 500 between the covert/stiletto/express tech. the covert has enough lift to do some mixed duty for cold water too if you don't mind using a weight belt to cover extra ballast that doesn't fit in its somewhat small pockets.
Perhaps you meant Scout not Stiletto. Stiletto is a great BC, but definitely north of $500.

Yeah I'm listening, that's great

I love zeagle bcds, have about half a dozen got most really cheap around and ebay with heaps of life left

I broke this one then integrated it

376 017.JPG

to clip a chestmount rebreather to

370 059.JPG

I think I added the little drings for something too I think, it fit great, dived great, made a Y crotch harness
for it and dived it upside down with manifolded twins magnificent but you can't wear a weight belt with it

For a warm water BCD, I would recommend the Zeagle Stiletto.....or similar back inflate BCD. It's modular, fully adjustable, very comfortable, twin cam bands, good storage options, etc. Below is a pic of a Stiletto disassembled to show how adjustable and modular it is. If you are planning to dive cold water then I would recommend the Zeagle Ranger. Same modularity and comfort but fully compatible for twins..

A6JFXj7.jpg
Your picture might scare someone thinking of a purchase ! They generally comes assembled. BTW, I've used many Zeagle and I liked all of them. They are very adjustable, bulletproof and highly recommended.

Your picture might scare someone thinking of a purchase ! They generally comes assembled. BTW, I've used many Zeagle and I liked all of them. They are very adjustable, bulletproof and highly recommended.
Yes, they do come assembled, but you don't necessarily need to settle for an off the rack size if it's not quite right. My Stiletto was purchased with a medium waist section and a large shoulder section. I tried on both a large and Medium and swapping those was what fit me best. My LDS swapped them for me prior to the sale.

I liked my Stiletto so much I bought two other Zeagles for my daughters. Oldest has a Laser (now discontinued, but was the female cut version of the Stiletto) and youngest has a Zena. I made one minor change to each BC. The rear trim weights come on the lower tank band. This essentially puts the main weight and trim weights along the same point. I moved the trim pockets up to the top band. To do this, I had to flip them over, but not a problem as there are flaps to close on both top and bottom. I much prefer this position for trim.

The more recently introduced Fury takes the adjustability of the PFS system a step further. Rather than the modular approach of the other BCs, they incorporated more adjustability into the BC itself. It comes in two sizes. One that is adjustable between XS-L and one between L-XXL. I've used this in the past, and it's a pretty nice BC, and the adjustability is pretty slick. You need to set it up for the right size, so it's not just like you'll just use pull straps to shrink a L to an XS. It's a lot cleaner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom