First BC...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hook it up and use the power inflator. If the OPV works and it doesn't blow, I would dive it.

Tested under pressure....np. (Just figured out how to post this in a new thread, too...so it appears there as well.)

Tested under pressure....np. (Just figured out how to post this in a new thread, too...so it appears there as well.)

I'm sure it's fine to dive with if it holds pressure and if the LP inflator works without leaking, and if the buckles and straps are not cracked and/or rotten.

It all checks out well on the surface and in the basin. I'll get it good and wet next weekend. Thanks!

Hello all,
I have only been diving a couple of years ( dive numbers only in the teens) but my wife and I decided we would like to do more diving and purchase our own gear.

I have a couple of considerations I guess. I do dive locally, Southern Ontario etc so I do cold(er) water diving, but I would like to use it for Travel as well.

I would not buy anything until you have tried using a backplate/wing set up. You might find it's quite a bit different (better IMO) than standard jacket or back-inflate soft BCs. Or, if you feel that you need a little more experience before choosing what kind of BC to get, buy an inexpensive used one; they're all over the place. This will give you a chance to evaluate what will work best for you. Definitely try some different styles of BC before you buy anything expensive.

There's a big difference in optimal BCs for very cold water and warm water. This is due to the amount of lift required to offset varying amounts of exposure protection. The only single BC that could be ideal for both IMO would be a BP/W set up with two different sized wings. That could get into some money.

It's already been mentioned but I'd buy the SP Seahawk over the Knighthawk. When I was buying I looked at both closely and went with the Seahawk. SP makes great BC's and their quality is second to none.

Just liked the pockets on the Seahawk better. At the time I bought my Seahawk the pockets were larger and easy to open and close. Not sure if that is still the same compared to the Knighthawk.

Mr. OOO has a Knighthawk and I have a Ladyhawk. Both have one stowed roll-up pocket that zips away on the right side rather than true pockets (cargo) on both sides built into the cummerbund piece. It does add to a bit more bulk in that area which I don't like especially when I dive local (cold) water. The Knighthawk and Ladyhawk are definitely more lower profile in that area. We don't carry anything in the pockets, so it's an easy decision. I clip off things to my d-rings and not much at that. In my opinion, the Seahawk is more reminiscent of a jacket style BC feel because of that but with a back flotation - so I can see folks liking it for that reason.

In short, try things on and see what you like best. :) Everyone is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom