Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to picture someone in a smoke-filled berth with panic all around sawing a hole through a hull below the waterline. After breaching the inner wall, he cuts through electrical and hydraulic lines running alongside the boat. After cracking the outer hull, cold salt water rushes in, drowning everyone. This is one of those ideas that should have been kept to whomever originally posted it.

Sorry, it was sarcasm from the perspective of someone that has skippered one. The Pro 42 is a jet drive 42 ft vessel designed as a day trip dive boat. Hundreds of them in use in resort areas, the hull is noticably thin compared to most vessels of its size. Because as skipppers we often do the maintenance, it's just something that anyone who has skippered them will know. In fact, funny story, in Cuba they made a pro 42 knockoff but did a thick Hill and they are very slow and sit about 2 ft lower because of the weight.
Thanks. But I still have no idea how thick or how thin are any of the hulls you describe. Especially relative to a saw blade, not to each other. (to be clear, I am mainly curious because it may be another data point useful to tamping down the power saw idea, not because I am looking for support of that notion)

It's a ridiculous conjecture. A sad battery will not instantly engulf a 65 ft vessel. Just stop and think about physics for even a single moment.

When I first heard details about the fire my immediate thought was propane. Since then, I've heard conflicting reports about propane on board. Do any of you former passengers know for a fact, one way or the other? How did they fuel the cooking stoves?

When I first heard details about the fire my immediate thought was propane. Since then, I've heard conflicting reports about propane on board. Do any of you former passengers know for a fact, one way or the other? How did they fuel the cooking stoves?

It's been established that all the cooking surfaces/appliances onboard were electric.

240V Electrical from a generator

This would put them “in service” to the vessel, and in a very legal sense, would make them crew. Which comes with all kinds of requirements for training and insurance. If a roving sounding and security watch is needed, the Coast Guard should require it and the company should implement it.
Well ok, bad idea then.
I’m going back to bundling up in a sleeping bag and blankets and crashing out on the deck. If they don’t let me do that then I’ll pick another boat.
However, all of this is becoming more and more abstract since it has been several years since I've been down south on one of those boats.

How is it possible to get there in 15 minutes? Surely a city fire department wouldn't have a fire boat stationed an hour boat ride offshore... much longer than that from Ventura.

Here is a Google Maps link that shows Platt Harbor and the US Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands. Ventura and Santa Barbara are to the north.
This looks like a more viable timeline:

Timeline for California dive boat fire

SEPT. 2

— 3:15 a.m.: Mayday call from the Conception reporting fire

— 3:42 a.m.: Coast Guard deploys

— 4 a.m.: Ventura County Fire Department deploys

— 5:08 a.m.: Fire extinguished

— 6:58 a.m.: Conception sinks

This looks like a more viable timeline:

Timeline for California dive boat fire

SEPT. 2

— 3:15 a.m.: Mayday call from the Conception reporting fire

— 3:42 a.m.: Coast Guard deploys

— 4 a.m.: Ventura County Fire Department deploys

— 5:08 a.m.: Fire extinguished

— 6:58 a.m.: Conception sinks
I saw multiple reports that the CG could not get on the boat after it was 'extinguished' as the fire kept relighting. My impression was that attempts to completely extinguish the fire sank the boat,

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom