Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This summary updated 14 Sept 2019 Updates are also posted on page one of this thread. Please follow links and read surrounding posts to keep up to date.

It is always best to read an entire thread before commenting. Due to the length of this one we are providing & updating this summary for topics covered. We believe this information is credible but it can not be established as proven facts prior to completion of the investigation.

Please be kind when you post here remember the special rules and consider families, friends and survivors who are reading this. Consider Accidents and Incident Threads: Victim Perspective

We can not determine the cause here but discussing possibilities may help to prevent future tragedies.

34 Casualties DNA identified

Conception compliant met or exceeded applicable USCG requirements on last inspection implies approved; fire alarms, fire fighting equipment and escape routes

NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) Preliminary Report
Preliminary Report: Marine DCA19MM047
Discussion points
  • concludes all crew sleeping
  • Statement in Preliminary Report says it may contain errors

Anchor Watch

Rough time line as reported
  • night dive time? commonly done by passengers; NO night dive by Crew
  • 2:30 crew member finished up in the galley verified heating elements were out and cold etc. Then went upstairs to bed. Not indicated if this was the designated Anchor Watch see
  • Between 3 and 3:14, a crew member awoke hearing a bang. He attempted to go down to investigate but stairs already afire.
  • 5 crew were in the wheelhouse two levels above the berth area. 1 crew member in the berth below did not survive.
  • crew jumped to deck, one broke leg other undisclosed ankle injuries
  • Captain first Mayday from Bridge documented 3:14
  • crew tried to reach the passengers from aft passage into the salon/galley then via forward front windows
  • forced from the boat by the fire some swam aft to the dingy & brought it alongside to rescue injured crew
  • sought help from nearby vessel Grape Escape Another Mayday call.

Most suspected causes of fire discussed
Battery discussions here

Original location of fire not yet established
  • former owner believes it started in passenger berth area
  • some believe it started in galley/salon area
Conception's layout and facilities
Exits from Dorm
  • main exit - stairs to starboard forward end of the dorm to the galley/salon.
  • emergency hatch above bunks at aft end of dorm exited in aft portion of the salon, just inside the passageway to the after deck.
  • no locked doors to the galley, salon or berth area.

The design of berth area and escape hatches discussed extensively. It meets current USCG standards which many believe may be changed as a result of this tragedy.

Excellent DAN article Mental Health post incident

Google Map link that shows Platt Harbor and the US Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands. Ventura and Santa Barbara are to the north

Related threads

A personal perspective on California Live-aboards
Discussion of legal aspects here
Condolences posted here
Donations here

Hi Folks -

I'm a professional seafarer - I work in areas so remote that the astronauts on the International Space Station are frequently the closest humans to us. This whole notion that passengers on a dive boat could quickly cut an egress in the side of a small vessel is ridiculous on face value. Let's put that idea to rest and move on to more productive conversations. It would take a shipyard an entire day to make an exit point like that on a vessel - and that's using skilled laborers with plans drawn up in advance.

For reference, here's an image of our current track.

- Ed

Attachments

• Kanton_Island_-_Google_Maps.png
    Kanton_Island_-_Google_Maps.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 220

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This summary has been updated 12 Sept 2019 Updates are also posted on page one of this thread. Please follow links and read surrounding posts to keep up to date.

It is always best to read an entire thread before commenting. Due to the length of this one we are providing and updating this summary for topics already covered. We believe this information is credible but it can not be established as proven facts prior to completion of the investigation.

Please be kind when you post here remember the special rules and consider families, friends and survivors who are reading this. Consider Accidents and Incident Threads: Victim Perspective

We can not determine the cause of this event here. Discussing possibilities may help to prevent future tragedies.

34 Casualties Partial List

Conception compliant with (met or exceeded) applicable USCG requirements on her last inspection implies approved

Anchor Watch
  • normally posted in the wheelhouse
  • Regulations discussion
  • Anchor watch process discussion
  • People from prior trips reported meeting the "watchman" at various times during night

Rough time line as reported
  • night dive time? commonly done by passengers; NO night dive by Crew
  • 2:30 crew member finished up in the galley verified heating elements were out and cold etc. Then went upstairs to bed. Not indicated if this was the designated Anchor Watch see
  • Between 3 and 3:14, a crew member awoke hearing a bang. He attempted to go down to investigate but stairs already afire.
  • 5 crew were in the wheelhouse two levels above the berth area. 1 crew member in the berth below did not survive.
  • crew jumped to deck, one broke leg other undisclosed ankle injuries
  • Captain first Mayday from Bridge documented 3:14
  • crew tried to reach the passengers from aft passage into the salon/galley then via forward front windows
  • forced from the boat by the fire some swam aft to the dingy & brought it alongside to rescue injured crew
  • Captain last to leave smoke around him crew thought he was on fire
  • sought help from nearby vessel Grape Escape Another Mayday call. The calls have been linked together causing confusion
  • Captain returned to look for others with no success.

Most suspected causes of fire discussed
Note due to extensive discussions on battery fires
Please post battery discussions
Tough love for the industry's lithium addiction

Original location of fire not yet established
  • former owner and commissioner of the boat believes it started in passenger berth area
  • some believe it started in galley/salon area
Conception's layout and facilities
  • all electric (no propane or other fuel used for cooking)
  • Nitrox = Nuvair Membrane
  • NO banked Oxygen
  • all O2 First aid tanks or stage bottles were aft (last to burn)
Exits from Dorm met USCG regulations
  • main exit - stairs to starboard forward end of the berthing area to the galley/salon.
  • emergency hatch above bunks at aft end of compartment exited in aft portion of the salon, just inside the passageway to the after deck.
  • no locked doors to the galley, salon or berth area.

The design of berth area and escape hatches have been discussed extensively. It meets current USCG standards which many believe may be changed as a result of this tragedy.

The above topics have discussed extensively. Please refer back in the thread using links for those discussions. Posts around the links will give additional information.

Geographic Reference: Google Map link that shows Platt Harbor and the US Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands. Ventura and Santa Barbara are to the north