Fire Coral Nightmare!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tape tip! :thumb:

Not to be sexist, but if you were a guy you would have known that duct tape can fix anything.

As for the OP, I had a smaller encounter with fire coral and it took about six months to fully resolve itself, but the major symptoms were much better within the first month.

Hi Wits,
Excellent photos. It looks like you might have some retained fragments, for example, spicules from a sponge. You also may still be recovering from the effects of fire coral nematocyst discharge. In an acute sponge envenomation, it's effective to use duct tape to remove the spicules, but that would be questionable at this point.
If the rash continues to spread or changes character, i.e. pain, swelling, warmth, and/or fever, you should see a physician immediately to rule out cellulitis.
In general, topical corticosteroids and antihistamines can be effective in relieving symptoms like this. Please keep us posted!

Best regards,
DDM

I had no previous experience with fire coral, other than my friend having a huge area of red dots on the front of his shins from fire coral contact. Years later, it's still there.
When I got it on the inside of my ankle at a later time.....all I knew
was to scrub vigorously (make it hurt, get it all out). It worked for me, I just ran a constant flow of water over the affected area and used a lathered up wash cloth.

The OP is probably past that point since it's already started healing.

-Mitch

This has sparked a discussion in the clinic here. For AtMyWitsEnd and Jax both: Wits, it looks like your symptoms reappeared about four days after your last dose of prednisone. Is this accurate? Jax, were you on steroids, and if so, when did your symptoms reappear in relation to your course of medication?

Thanks,
DDM

I have never encountered fire coral as seriously as you did, but while it is too late now for the remedy that I learned to use when I have, I will pass along the tip anyway.

If I do touch fire coral I GENTLE brush the area with sand, as I continue the dive. I do this several times, and by the end of the dive I have no symptoms at all.

Not to be sexist, but if you were a guy you would have known that duct tape can fix anything.

As for the OP, I had a smaller encounter with fire coral and it took about six months to fully resolve itself, but the major symptoms were much better within the first month.

I'll believe that when I hear it fixes a P-valve catheter problem. :)

This has sparked a discussion in the clinic here. For AtMyWitsEnd and Jax both: Wits, it looks like your symptoms reappeared about four days after your last dose of prednisone. Is this accurate? Jax, were you on steroids, and if so, when did your symptoms reappear in relation to your course of medication?

Thanks,
DDM

If I do touch fire coral I GENTLE brush the area with sand, as I continue the dive. I do this several times, and by the end of the dive I have no symptoms at all.

I did what Jim suggests - rub the affected area with sand as I continued the dive. It stung for about 5-10 minutes, then went away. I had no symptoms while I was there in Coz . . . I was thinking all this fire coral was a bunch of hype. However, the welts raised about ten days (I know I said two weeks, but I think it was more like ten days) after the contact. I applied the Benedryl creme and hydrocortisone cream, and it took 7 to 10 days to clear up.

My brush was very light - trying to get a macro shot and the current 'blew' the fire coral into me.

Thanks, Jax. Not sure how sanitary rubbing sand on the injury would be, especially if there's a cut along with the sting. Fire coral nematocysts are similar to those of jellyfish; the best general first-aid treatment is to rinse the area thoroughly with sea water.

Oh, I also scrubbed later . . . I just heard about the sand from the locals, so I tried it.

Back
Top Bottom