Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conallmeehan44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I’m in the market for new fins I would like to get some jet fins for drysuit diving. My main attraction to the jet fins is their weight. On another thread on this site someone said the dive system fins weigh 3.1kgs and the jet fins weigh 3.7kgs. Can anyone verify this and if anyone has any information regarding either set of fins it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you can go wrong with SP jet fins. You may want to go try them on in store to make sure they fit properly. I went through D6 Eddy, xDeep EX1, Tusa Hyflex switch, Apeks RK3 HD, SP Jet fins and Mares Power Plana. Each are good for different applications. Hyflex switch with spring straps and Eddy fins for wetsuit or dive skin. I have floaty feet so I needed either Jet fins, Tusa Hyflex, xDeep and Power plana. xDeep didn't have a large enough pocket fin for my rock boots but used them for my first 50 dives with a 7mm semi dry and dry suit with other rock boots. Apeks RK3 HD don't have much power and are not heavy enough. Power plana might be good for a couple stages, but are very feet heavy with spring straps. YMMV depending on drysuit cut and fit, undergarments, type of diving single tank, sidemount, doubles, etc.

Reactions: xan
My main attraction to the jet fins is their weight. On another thread on this site someone said the dive system fins weigh 3.1kgs and the jet fins weigh 3.7kgs.
Just want to re-emphasize that dry weight is not sufficient to understand the buoyancy characteristics of fins in water, because density of materials will affect how they sink. For example, this old post states XL SP Jet Fins are about -1.2 lb / -0.55 kg in fresh water. So you'll need more info than just dry weight if you're trying to compare.

I'm happy with my SP Jet Fins for drysuit, and use Apeks RK3 when wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom