Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a pair of plastic formers on eBay at
Fin shape supports on eBay, also, Fins Flippers, SCUBA Snorkelling, Sporting Goods (end time 17-Apr-09 22:20:27 BST)
I don't know where you're based, but they're flagged as "Post to UK". If you live elsewhere and are still keen to purchase a pair, consider writing to the seller and asking him/her to change the available destinations to "worldwide" or something similar. I've done that a number of times before and only once has my request been declined.

I got loads in my dive shop, mostly from rental fins but many people dump them also! get decent fins and you will not need then, otherwise, like myself, keep them on your feet for most of their life!

thanks for the responses, I've been looking for a new set of fins anyways...looking between Scubapro twin jets, Mares Raptors, and the Atomic Splitfins... I'm currently diving with genesis aquaflex and i want another set...

You know you bring up a good point with your question. Where did you lose your plastic things from your fins? In the water perhaps? Maybe left them on the beach? Did they fall off the boat? Did the dog eat them? Are they in your rental car? (The tourists on Maui lose those things all the time here, I know that for a fact). Did one get lost one place and the other in a different place? Hmmm, where could they be? Where do they go when they get lost????? I know one place to look....

Since you decided you need new fins, may I suggest you take a look at Mor-Fins? Really great fins that have the least amount of drag of any fin on the market. Most people don't know this but they actually allow you to slip through the water after your downstroke compared to dragging the fin behind you as in most other style fins.

Here's a quick link for you. Mor-Fins. True Hydrofoil techonolgy swim fins. What do you expect from your fins? Expect more from Mor-Fins.You could always ask your local dive shop/dealer to get you a pair if you don't want to just order them online.

You won't need those silly, useless, discardable fin shapers with Mor-Fins. I thought as divers we we're trying to make it fashionable to cut down on the use of plastic now anyway!! (How many of you ever heard of the Pacific Trash Vortex?) I wonder how much stuff in the vortex is scuba related? You know some of it HAS TO BE with all the divers out there losing fins, gloves, snorkels, cameras, flashlights and other stuff (LIKE FIN SHAPERS!).

Not to change the subject but here's another scubaboard link to a thread about the vortex. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/good-causes-petitions-solicitations/280336-journey-center-trash-vortex.htmlIt's important that we spread the word to everyone including the news media about this. Maybe it's time to ask the SCUBA manufacturers to take a first step in reducing plastic in our seas. One thing they could start with is making less junk that falls apart or is otherwise useless so it doesn't end up in the water. I'll bet there are quite a few divers out there that have lost the plastic fin shapers off boats. Where do you think those shapers go???

Maybe as divers we need to refuse such useless things from the manufacturers. How else will they get the message? If the fin really needs the shaper, why not just mold it in in the first place???? :shakehead:

It's already been said here, buy better fins and you won't even need them so they won't even come with them. Let's tell that to the fin makers!!

I've toosed those things at the first dive and never had a problem with my fins. ANd yes, I also toss the paper and cardboard of shoes!!!!

CB

Now I understand why my toes always hurt! You mean it's ok to remove and discard that stuff?? What a concept :confused:. To respond to the question I have a set in my closet with the empty mask boxes. Never used them and my scubapro twin jets don't seem to mind a bit. Nor do my old snorkel fins, nor do my (can't remember the name) fins. All the fins are fine without the support stuff. They only go on dive trips 4 times a yr for a week at a time. No saggy mess. There is lots of stuff to worry about so I wouldn't add this to your list. Have fun diving (Cocoview in 48 hours, hope the fins fit):D

People actually keep those things and use them? Never had a problem with my Atomics not using them.

Back
Top Bottom