Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton7418

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
okay, so when i went diving this weekend i kinda lost the plastic things that retain the shape of my fin pocket. I was wondering are these really necessary, how many people still have them and how many people have just tossed the thing...and if they are really that important why can't i seem to find replacement ones.

thanks...

I've never really understood why fin manufacturers back in the 1980s discontinued using natural rubber, which always keeps its shape, to make foot pockets, substituting "thermoplastic elastomer", which sags and warps without support. Actually, I do understand why. TPE may be easier, and therefore cheaper, to manufacture than natural rubber. It may also be easier to bond TPE to plastic blades for all I know. Any other benefits to the user escape me, which is why I stick to all-rubber fins, which don't come with - or require - plastic "formers" to stay in shape.

Perhaps you could find something in turn to substitute for the plastic formers you've mislaid. Consider stuffing the foot pockets with plastic bags or crumpled-up newspapers. These fillings may end up doing a better job than the plastic formers, which seemed to have quite sharp edges the last time I looked in my local dive store and therefore did the material inside the foot pockets no favours.

I've lost mine already, but I went to Lowe's and got a sheet of plastic wall covering, what you would use above a shower stall or bathtub. It's about $20 for a 4' x 8' sheet, but it has a LOT of uses. I've made the fin shapers out of it, dive slates and several other things around the house. If you don't need that much, get a plastic 'For Sale' sign, or similar saying, and cut that to shape. It's flexable, easy to cut, works great and doesn't cost much at all.

okay, so when i went diving this weekend i kinda lost the plastic things that retain the shape of my fin pocket. I was wondering are these really necessary, how many people still have them and how many people have just tossed the thing...and if they are really that important why can't i seem to find replacement ones.

thanks...

I never have used these things, except when I was a new diver. Of course the fins are on my feet a lot of the time........the best fin shaper.

thanks for the suggestions...i've decided to leave my boots in the fins until i find a suitable replacement for them...

Get a better pair of fins and you won't need them.

My thoughts exactly. The only pair of fins I have owned that came with those foot pocket formers were a cheap ass pair of DeepSee fins. I dove with them for about a month before I got wise. I dive my jetfins now, would never look back. And the footpocket never warps.

Oh crap, how will you get your rebate now? Didn't the shop tell you about it? In addition you will probably have to get a new mask since they are linked telepathically to each other. You have now broken the link and as a result you will only be able to swim in circles. What a shame.

I've never kept them - never saw the need for them.

Tossed them but then again I toss the paper and cardboard in my new shoes and the cardboard collar formers on new shirts but I like to live on the wild side.

Back
Top Bottom