Fins with Lavacore socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dor1813

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi

Will someone suggest what fins that are less pricey than Aqualung Hotshot can be worn with Lavacore unisex socks?
Amazon.com: Lavacore by Oceanic Socks Unisex: Sports & Outdoors
My feet have been constantly chaffed and gettin bad blisters from the booties, I have decided to use socks and buy new fins.

Now that I realize that my feet needed some fleece protection, the only thing I could find is the Lavacore socks even though I dive in the tropical climate.

Any advice and suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If there is room in your booties you might try some kind of socks under your booties. The combination will prevent chafing and blisters for some people, a couple people I dive with do this and it works great for them. Besides the lavacore you could also try polartec, thin neoprene, lycra, or even any random nylon socks. If you like your current fins, I would try that before getting socks and new fins and possibly discovering you haven't solved the problem.

If there is room in your booties you might try some kind of socks under your booties. The combination will prevent chafing and blisters for some people, a couple people I dive with do this and it works great for them. Besides the lavacore you could also try polartec, thin neoprene, lycra, or even any random nylon socks. If you like your current fins, I would try that before getting socks and new fins and possibly discovering you haven't solved the problem.

Thanks so much Damselfish.
I will be diving again (on PADI course) in two weeks even before the wounds heal and would need much protection from further chaffing. I think I would need to use duct tape also.

Wonder would thicker neoprene booties help to cushion the feet? Too bad Lavacore doesn't have inner fleece booties or I will get it for sure.

Will need to try out at the local dive shop with the available options as suggested..

All you need is a pair of lycra scuba socks. I started using them and my life was changed. You may have to use duct tape until you heal but be sure to put some kind of nonstick padding over each scab before sticking the duct tape on you.

All you need is a pair of lycra scuba socks. I started using them and my life was changed. You may have to use duct tape until you heal but be sure to put some kind of nonstick padding over each scab before sticking the duct tape on you.
Thanks! I will use waterproof plasters instead (brand: Opsite)

Thicker booties/more cushioning may seem like the obvious solution, but it's not necessarily the case. I think an extra layer allows any sliding motion to occur between the sock and the bootie, instead of the bootie and your skin.

That is correct damselfish. No extra padding needed on the booties or the socks. The lycra just does its magic. A couple of weeks ago, one of my socks went missing. I've been diving with them (or another pairs) for years. But hey, am I going to miss a dive because I'm missing a sock? Of course not. So I dove with only one sock and got a big raw rub spot on the inside of my heel. The scab just fell off yesterday. I'll always make sure to have spare sock(s) in my save a dive kit from now on! :wink:

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and advice.

I realized that the inside of my booties are not blind stiched that is the reason for the endless chaffing. If I use Lycra socks I believe would solve the whole problem thus not necessary to buy new booties or fins right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom