Fins too tight ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillNH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am a new dry suit diver and needed to buy new fins as a result. I got a Bare D6 (size LT, boot size 2XL) My street size is a 10 1/2 to 11. Boots are the molded boot(dont know what to call them). I ordered a pair of Aeris Veolcity Duos size XL/2XL and just tried them on. I put on the dry suit with bare feet and had a difficult time getting the fin on. I could get them on but they seemed real tight on the sides. I am concerned that once I put on wool socks then they will be too tight and I will get cramps.

Any suggestions. How snug should a fin be on a dry suit boot ?

thanks
Bill

They do want to be fairly snug. Remember that the neoprene boots will compress with depth and that will make it a bit looser. Too loose and then can things can blow off, hence the Trident triangles. I don't think they should be painful at any time. Then again a key thing is; can you get in and out them well enough when in the water?

In some cases boots have extended treads that run up the side especially along the ball of the foot. I ended up shaving some of the excess rubber away with a sureform shaver to get what I wanted. A buddy has made mods along the same lines.

Pete

actually the Bare Neoprene "socks" on the DS are compressed neoprene, (at least the ones on my suit are lol) so you won't likely get much compression.

I know some divers who have done like Spectrum and shaved the boots down so they fit better. You can also try other boots (Converse or other hightop canvas shoes tend to make pretty small boots for a drysuit) the other option is to get different boots or fins that do fit.

Aloha, Tim

Hey Kidspot, my Bare D6 has built in molded boots, not socks with separate boots. I guess I should just go with the crowd and get Jets or Turtles. They seem like the easiest route to go. I guess I am caught up in the new technology wave, with splits, new materials, colors etc.... the jets and turtles just look like old technology(even though I know they are great fins), they look heavy and bulky too.

if they are molded in boots, then I'm not so sure I'd want to start shaving them down... but maybe that's just me lol.

Lots of dry divers especially really seem to like Jets because of their weight - they help reduce that "floaty feet" sensation. If you want to give them a "modern" look you could pick up some "tool dip" from your local hardware store do a custom paint job on them :D

Aloha, Tim

P.S. if it helps in sizing check out http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba for Jet/Turtle sizing info - and if you end up going with them please let me know which size works with your ds boots as I'll add it to the chart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom