Fins split or paddles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'll chime in. I use Scubapro twin jets and like them. I'm not interested in speed, but do find them much easier on my knees and ankles. I mainly use a modified flutter kick and they work great for that. They are not much good for a frog kick, however.

This past summer my wife and I began diving in our local environment here in Maine. Prior to this we had only been in tropical locations.

Because of the need for a strapped fin vs. a full foot fin we purchased the Tusa X-Pert Zoom Fins on recommendation.

In warm water we use the Scubapro full foot fins. They’re small, easy to handle on a boat and we have no problem keeping up with everybody.

Last night I took both sets of fins to the local pool to compare them. By far, I would rather use the Scubapro fins. They have a positive feel both in control and power. The Zoom fins feel like a ’73 Cadillac. I feel like the fins are controlling me and I have to constantly compensate.

The above may be lack of skill using this type of fin, but boy have I tried.

Given my predisposition for this type of fin, I would welcome suggestions as to a non-split strapped fin. Scubapro again?

Regards,
Chuck

I dive splits in both warm and cold water. Overhead environments and wrecks. Splits DO NOT preclude you from a single kick style and as far as agility there is an infintesimal (sp) difference at worst. The one thing Ive experienced that is negative is some of the more flexible splits such as the Oceanics can reek havoc on the silt if the diver is not concientious of the trail behind them. This is an observation from second in line on several occasions. It is also a result of using the wrong kick style under the circumstances. I just got back from Cozumel and dove fitted foot splits in RIPPING currents, I say if your in shape its not an issue.

If you were confused after reading some of the stuff you found searching, I doubt reading all the same stuff here again is going to help! I think you really need to try them.

If it weren't for spilts I'd be done diving by now, these old legs wouldn't take them.

I use a variety of kicks, use them in currents and I'd say the only limitation is that I can't do a back fin with them.

And for that I say, so what :)

I switched from tusa imprex to atomic reef reds and i will never go back to paddle fins again. More speed and power when i need it with little effort.

My favorite way to test fins is to trade them with a buddy on a sandy area right at the middle of a dive. I get a much better read on a fin after using mine right before. That being said, the Apollo Bio split fins seemed above and beyond easy and fast in a regular to low current ocean. I'm looking to try out a set of Scubapro Twin Splits, but the local dive shops who claim they are the greatest fins, ever, don't rent them out and will not stand behind their product with a guarantee that i'll like them if I buy them. That dog don't hunt in today's world, or with any diver who has a piece of over-hyped gear that isn't used anymore.
I'm not syaing SPro TJ's are crap - they've got to be worlds ahead of my current fins, but I don't want to support the old-school dive-shop practices. (after all, Twin Jets are pretty rugged fins, they'd make it as rentals - why not rent them as 'premium fins' at a bit higher price ?)

Best,

MD

My very personal take on it: I started with TwinJets. I bought them because the shop owner told me they would be less likely to cause cramping. He was right -- I never got a cramp while using them. They were very easy on my legs.

Then, as the result of a class, I bought a pair of classic Jets. The first time I put them on, I thought I had concrete blocks strapped to my feet! But then I went to do the various kicks I was learning in class, and found them so much easier to feel and do that I was amazed. I had thought the difference was mostly hype, but I was wrong.

Diver0001 will tell you that divers of skill can do anything with almost any equipment, and he's right. But for beginners, some things make certain jobs easier. Twin Jets are great for cruising, and easy to learn to use. But to generate their power, they move a LOT of water, and I was watching my husband's fins kick up the bottom from about six feet up yesterday. Jets are heavier and stiffer and more work (and yes, I get cramps occasionally with them), but they do permit a novice diver to use more precise propulsion techniques more easily.

Since when was diving all about "speed" and going fast? I don't get all the hype about being able to swim around like a race car.........I thought diving was about being relaxed, taking your time having fun.

The most important thing about a fin is not what color it is, whether it is split, v shaped, etc...it's about fit. If the fin doesn't fit properly then all the money on the extra crap is just wasted.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom