fins recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a novice diver, and want to buy my own fins - open heel type. Can you recommend some good ones? I've been reading and looking online. They're so overwhelming..
I don't plan on diving in strong current (since I'm a novice). I'm looking for something all-around that I can travel with. Thanks!

If you are looking for something reasonable, light and can be used for a lot of different fining styles, the mares super channel and wave are 2 great examples.

Reactions: luk
Oh no... Someone has opened pandoras box again...

I have never had a fin I didn't like. But I like the ones with spring straps better. I am currently diving DiveRite fins with spring straps. I have used a couple of different models of the Mares (Quattro Avanti and Plana Avanti, or something like that) and they worked well too. You can retrofit them with spring straps, but I don't think you can order them.

I've used a fair number of fins over nearly 60 years of snorkeling & diving. All time favorite is the Aeris Velocity 3X. I've traveled with them and they fit into a checked suitcase, no problem.

One thing my LDS suggested that was very important to me - Find the boot that fits you well and that you can put on and take off easily (for me that was a Tilos). Then find the fin that fits the boot. I found that to be great advice and very important. Few things are more frustrating than struggling to don or doff ill fitting boots or fins, especially when shore diving. There actually isn't an order of magnitude difference across good quality fins (blasphemy) so fit becomes the deciding factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom