fins question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peggyhag

Reaction score
I am just learning to dive, I would be diving in mostly fresh water areas: IE: the Great Lakes and need to know if anyone can suggest a good fin. I was looking at the Tilos Glide fins. Any comments or referrals on this?

I've dove in that area quite a bit. It depends on your dive style somewhat, but I prefer Force Fins and have used them since 1996. Most of my Diving has been boat based.

Now these fins are are awesome for someone who is looking for long lasting quality scuba gear. I have never had any leg cramps or strains with these fins, my longest swim was about a 1/2 mile when the anchor slipped and the boat watcher was not paying attention. They make noisemakers for that now...

Also, once you get used to them, they are very handy for maneuvering around wrecks, etc. You can check out their web site Force Fin or on scubaboard they are very active in their own forum Force Fin - ScubaBoard The only thing, is they are not really intended for snorkeling -- although they may have other styles that will be good for both.

In any event, someday I will have a set of their ruby red translucent fins. For now, the force fin Pro will have to do, and unfortunately they are never going to wear out. Welcome to diving and have a great and safe time.

There is a video, which should be required watching for new divers, please watch it and think about it YouTube - Diving Accident Potential For A Bad Outcome Bahamas 12/12/08

i dont recomend force fins for any beginner, they have their uses, very manuverable, and less cramps, and great if you are going into commercial application, but they also have some downsides, less power on cheaper models, they are very expensive compared to a more user friendly fin, surface swimming is a nightmare with them, and alot of people feel like they are spinning their wheels, not able to keep up with buddies,
I would recommend you go with a standard blade, nothing fancy, scubapro, aqualung, avoid split fins because you will advance beyond their usefullness very quickly unless you are only getting into resort/ tropic resort style diving in which case you will love them, you probably dont need to get into a pair of jets or slipstream style, keep it simple,
check with your instructor, he/ she should have a few sets for you to test drive and compare

Force Fins are perfect for beginers, learn proper in technique prior to "other" fins teaching you bad technique. Buying crappy fins you'll end up spending more than the $220 that you would pay for a brand new Force Fin Pro and never have to buy another fin. They have the power, comfort and ease that you will appreciate for the remainder of your diving life.

your right she should spend $220 for a set of fins for her OW course, you should get her into anice bp/w too, if she bought a VR3 she woudnt have to buy another computer either....force fins have their place, but open water class isnt one of those place, force fins have thier own technique, doesnt mean its right for everyone in every sitution

Hey Peggy
Welcome to the diving world!

You have unknowingly just opened one of the cans in the six-pack of heated discussions!

Let me say first of all that whatever you do, DO NOT buy ANYTHING until you have tried it out thoroughly first. One of the most common mistakes of beginners (and even advanced) divers is that they buy some piece of gear and later realize it isn't what they really needed. In fact there is a whole thread devoted to "worthless purchases I have made," or something like that! :D

Use what you are comfortable with, period! I would recommend "checking out" the ForceFins on the web. There is a lot of info out there available. Not everybody likes them and they are expensive. However, they can be purchased on eBay for less, if you don't mind getting used ones. Only YOU know your finances. Only YOU know what works for you. ForceFins take some training to use them to full advantage. They are GREAT for folks with bad knees or other problems (like me), or even if the person doesn't dive often enough to keep their legs in shape. I love mine, but you may not. Others will tell you that you'll die without a set of Jetfins; in black; with spring straps!

Your profile doesn't have any info. other than a cute picture, so w/o knowing your location we can't really point you to a shop that will allow you try out gear before you buy.

Keep us posted, sit back and enjoy the fight you started!! :D

:popcorn:

Your priorities when choosing fins are to ascertain (a) whether they fit properly and (b) whether they match your swimming style. Keep an open mind about brands, models and even types of fins until you have satisfied both criteria. Try out as many kinds as you can before you purchase. Finding the perfect pair of fins is something of an odyssey: the process simply can't be hurried, the more so as everybody's strengths and needs are different, even at the beginner's stage.

Well, this has been an interesting discussion. I don't feel it is particularly heated, we can have different opinions without all that. I do agree "one thing" does not fit all. I also do not agree, that they are not for a beginner. I do agree, that you should try out any fin or piece of equipment before spending a lot of money and then being unhappy. In any event, I completely agree, that surface swimming is not a strong point for the Force Fin, although I am not completely familiar with their entire line, something else may be. They are not cheap fins, agreed there too. Actually, there is an overstock sale of some new Force Fins in the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ltiple-items/297818-brand-new-force-fins.html classified section on this board. In any event, good discussion.

cressi frogs are a good fin for the greatlakes

Anybody have an opinion on Tilos Glide fins? If you have please let her know. The OP asked about them specifically. I have never used them, so cannot comment other than to say that they are cheap (I found them for $28 on the internet). :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom