Fins & Photography... Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a pair of Genesis Aquaflex fins.

Looking for something a little lighter to dive with. While doing some DM work, one of the other guys let me try his Tusa X-pert zooms, and the difference in air consumption was pretty noticeable.

So I've decided to get some new fins. Problem is, I understand splits aren't great from a maneuverability standpoint, which is obviously a concern doing photography and wanting to be able to go backwards/hold ground, etc.

So what are people's thoughts? I'm looking at the TUSA X-pert zooms, and also at the new Cressi-Sub Rondines (if you've seen a dive mag. in the last 3 months, you know the fins I speak of).

Will I be alright with the splits, or do I need to stick with a more conventional paddle style fin?

Thanks,

AD

A couple of friends of mine use split fins, Oceanic and Apollo I believe and they certainly produce some very spectacular shots.
I think it is more about how you position yourself, bouyancy control, ability to move in tight space without stirring up sand and spook the subjects you are trying to get picture off rather than what kind of fins. I say go for splitfins if they give you bettter air consumption so you will have more time to work on your shots.

I feel I have pretty good buoyancy (you can never have too good buoyancy), and can pretty much maneuver at will.

I guess what I'm getting at is some people say that you can't pull off some of the same moves (specifically going backwards, helicopter turn, keeping yourself in one spot using a variety of kicks, etc.) with splits that you can with a paddle fin.

Just trying to get some thoughts on that.

AD

IMHO it's a flexibility issue. A fin that is very flexible is going to be difficult for fine tuned positioning.

I bought a Tusa reef tourer snorkel fin. It's light, very flexible and great for going fast and minimizing energy. However, I had trouble while shooting video.

Not all split fins are alike. The Atomic split is known for being stiffer and bigger than other splits, but also being fast and efficient.

I use either Apollo Bio's or Atomic splits and have never had any trouble with any maneuver. True, it take a few more 'strokes' to back up but I can do it. Same with any of the other 'technical' fin maneuvers you can think of. But if I want or need to go backwards off a reef, I can usually find a finger spot to simply push myself away.

You'll probably find that the closer you are to the reef or other structure, the less you'll be using your fins to maneuver...unless you are on a wall with nothing under you.

Choose the splits you buy for the way they feel, how well you can kick them (remember you'll have to change your kicking style), and how well they fit you. I suspect they are all about the same as far as maneuverability.

I have been taking underwater pictues for about 2.5 years now using the Appolo Bio Fins. If you have not had a chance tryng out these fins, please do. I promise you will not want to ever get in the water with out them. You will however have to learn to change your kick patteren. Rather then the hip movement you are used to Bio Fins work best of fluttering motions. Try them out, I'll bet you'll like them. I dive them in the ripping currents of the wonderful California coast.

so i guess paddle or pslits would work for me. i have both. i use paddle only now (no longer looking to be the speed demon trying to catch up with the stronger swimmers).

as oft repeated here, neutral bouyancy is important (as in hover above that clump of urchins while taking the pic of that weird shrimp thingy). backing up is theoretically easier with the paddles (i never learned to back-up in splits so i can't compare). heli turns is a breeze using paddles (using just one fin, body untilted).

or, try both in a pool while taking pics :eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom