fins for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on whether you tend to be nose or foot heavy. If nose heavy, old school type fins like Jet, turtle or Rocket fins, or even Hollis' Bat fins. If foot heavy, then you may look at a lighter fin like Dive Rite or Mares. I tend to dive either back mounted 108's or a rebreather with sidemounted 80's for bailout. I am usually nose heavy so wear the Hollis Bat fins, as they help to trim me out & seem to give me about 1-1/2 the power of the Jet fins.

Yup, as tstorm says......the go to fins are jets, slipstreams, bats, dive rites......pretty much as long as they aren't splits. Up to you to see if you need/want a heavy or neutral fin.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets, OMS Slipstream, and my personal favourite the classic turtle fin.
Interestingly enough I just got back from Dominican and for the first time brought my sidemount rig for some cave diving. Now my travel fins (for weight and fit with my wetsuit boots) are an old pair of Mares quattro pros. For wetsuit and single tank diving they have always worked really well and I love them. This time around I really did notice a lack of thrust with them, for the first few minutes I kept wondering why I wasn't moving very fast (oh ya my fins!).
Anyway the point of that ramble was if you'll be pushing multiple tanks with a drysuit get a nice solid pair of fins.

I dive a Fusion dry suit just as you do, and I opted for the heavy Hollis F1 "Bat" fins. In a dry suit it is easy to solve the heavy feet issue by letting more air into the boots. Not so easy with floating feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom