Fins for scientific diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elemeno123

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a research project on reef fish and I'm taking a scientific diving class this fall. I'm relatively new to diving, and I need to purchase my first pair of fins. I've read endless reviews, and the more I read, the more confused I get. I was wondering if someone can recommend a good pair of fins for my particular circumstances. They *must* be open-heel.

Here are the issues I have to consider.

1) Good maneuverability - I'm going to need to get pretty close to the reef and possibly into some tight spots. I want to minimize the risk of hitting anything. Therefore I want to avoid fins that are super-long or are difficult to control in tight spaces.

2) Easy on the legs - I have a bit of tendonitis in my knees and ankles. I've found with very stiff fins, this can rapidly become a problem. On the other hand, I don't want anything so floppy that I end up kicking like a maniac. Also, I like to vary my kick styles as this helps me from getting sore, so the fins should perform somewhat decently for a variety of kicks.

3) Powerful enough to use in currents - some of the dive sites I'm looking at can occasionally have some nasty currents and I might have to dive in less than ideal conditions.

4) Fit - My feet are pretty average length for a woman (Women's size 8), but a little on the narrow side. I've found with some fins I get some wobble.

5) Price - I'm your typical poor student and while I'm willing to pay if I'm getting a lot more for my money, anything that softens the impact on my budget would be helpful.

None of the dive shops around here have pools that I could test fins out in and all of the rental gear seems to be pretty low end, so for the most part testing out a lot of fins isn't really an option.

I know there is no ideal fin that is going to make everything fantastic, but I'm just asking for those of you with personal experience with any of these things if you can give me some insight. It will save much hair-pulling on my part. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If you need fins that are easy on your ankles, I would suggest a pair of Force Fins. You will need to learn a different kick (more of a bicycle kick). They are short, easy to pack, and easy to use once you have the kick down. Not cheap though at around $170-$200.

Scientific diving will most likely involve using a kick that does not stir up the silt. Bicycle kick is not good for this. I would recommend either a pair of aqualung blades or something along those lines. You can find em on ebay for less than 30 bucks most times. I would advise against splits as they are not the best in currents. I personally use rockets. The regulars would have a narrow foot pocket and fit your foot unless you are diving dry with rock boots. And again you can find these for cheap on ebay. In fact I have a set that only have about 10 dives on them. I went to a new boot and needed the super rockets with a larger pocket. If you are interested send me a PM. In fact I'll put new straps on them that are more flexible and forgiving than the factory ones. Not springs but still very good. Price- 25 bucks plus actual shipping which in the US should be around 10 bucks. Added bonus is you will look cool and they work with any kick style. I use a modified frog as I have weak knees and it is a very easy and efficient kick for me.

PM Thallassamania; he invented scientific diving.:D

I second the mention for Force Fins, you can find them from Scuba.com for $110 and they will last you forever (one of the few fins that will). Once you learn to use them you will never silt out anything, hence the reason that the best science and wreck divers use them, ie. Jean-Micheal Cousteau and his dive team, and John Chatterton (Deep Sea detectives).

meesier42:
I second the mention for Force Fins, you can find them from Scuba.com for $110 and they will last you forever (one of the few fins that will). Once you learn to use them you will never silt out anything, hence the reason that the best science and wreck divers use them, ie. Jean-Micheal Cousteau and his dive team, and John Chatterton (Deep Sea detectives).

I've seen two of the Dive Portal DVD's by John Chatterton and Richie Kohler of Deep Sea Detectives.

They were NOT wearing force fins. In fact, one of them, Kohler I think, was using ScubaPro Split fins - the Twin Jets.

They were using them in caves and there wasn't a frog kick in sight either.

I've never tried any of the Force fins. For me and in the conditions I dive it's "ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SPLIT FIN."

I would assume that you would be very fimilar with Force Fins then, as the Foil Force fin is where Apollo got the idea for the split fin (and even then the FF design was based on an expired Italian patent). Hence the reason that Force Fin is the only split fin out there that doesn't licence the "natures wing" design.

As for John Chatterton- I don't own the DVD's but I have seen him wearing them on the Discovery channel, he wore the Exellerating Force fin, I am not sure that we always wears them though.

I would recommend the Dive Rites, you can do any of the kicks with them and they are not as stiff as the jets so they should be a little bit easier on the ankles. I would stay away from anything that is split or of the force fin design.

Back
Top Bottom