Fins for freestyle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John M.

Registered
Reaction score
What are the best fins for freestyle? I suppose it's kind of an odd question, but apparently for a certain military PT Test, you can wear fins during the freestyle swim portion of the test. Thanks for any input!

I've been a competitive swimmer for 20 years and have done my fair share of swimming with fins. Scuba fins are the worst to use for swimming. They are too bulky and cumbersome. Find some surf fins, the shorter ones used for body boarding. The stiffer ones are faster, but more fatiguing. Churchills are a common brand. Anything with the angled shape will work fine. Good luck on the PT!

For part of my 3 times/week pool workouts I use Aquasphere Zip fins. They are open heel swimfins (read, short enough to work nicely for freestyle) and have a really nice padded strap system that doesn't require booties. Although they are advertised as being splitfins, the reality is that the fin blades are too short and stiff for that to work as advertised. No matter, they are very effective at what I need them for. The color schemes leave a lot to be desired, I have the blue ones since that seemed to me to be the least obnoxious.

http://www.aquasphereusa.com/products/zip_fin.html

I also use their clear Seal Mask vs. goggles, if you are used to the field of vision you get from a scuba mask these are on par with that, but without the nose cover.

Good luck on your test.

Freestyle fins? Oceanic Caribe. Thirty five dollars from Leisurepro, 3 mph with full scuba gear as tested by Scubalab. Closed heal in Euro sizes. Example, with a size 10 foot and 3mm sock order "large", 44-45 (10-11 approx). I guarantee you this fin will outperform in any pool or open water competition.

The best sock on EBay is the IST, about 10 bucks. Specify your shoe size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom