Fins for drysuit boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

codecruncher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wear a size 10.5 US mens shoe. Have a 3mm compressed neoprene sock on the drysuit.

The oneill boots for the drysuit seem like a size 12 or 13 mens shoe to me (they simply say XL). They fit my foot great, but not my fins.

Tried getting the Aeris Velocity XL but no dice - just not large enough - but close - so back they go to LP.

What about Aqualung Blades "Giant" size (supposedly 11-13)? Anyone get them to work?

I'm not a fan of jets/turtles. I grew up on old US Divers Rocket fins from 20 years ago and these seem like the same thing - big, super heavy, very stiff, and overpowering my legs. Are the modern jets really that different?

My LDS doesn't stock much.

I seem to recall using mares quattros on a dui demo days in size 11 or 12 rock boots. Can anyone with quattros comment?

You might consider Scuba Pro twin speeds. They have foot holes slightly smaller than my living room. The SP twin jets are about average. Twin speeds are fairly stiff and work well in current. Twin jets are a bit on the floppy side, and leave a bit to be desired with a current around.

Jet fins haven't changed since the day the first pair rolled off the line. Jet fins are freakin' perfect, don't buy a super expensive pair of fins you don't need. Jets will last you forever and with a steel heel strap they'll never break. Turtles could fit an elephant, so unless you're hairy, seven feet tall, and live in the remote wilderness dodging bigfoot hunters you're golden.

Mares Quattros or USD Blades both have decent foot pockets for larger sized booties.

You may want to pay your LDS a visit with your boots to actually TRY some fins; that way there won't be so much hit & miss in the process.

Bonne chance,

I am about the same size foot as you. When I went to my DUI cf200 with rock boots I had to change from my old pair of jet fins. I tried a bunch of fins out and ended up with a pair of large twin jet fins. They work as well as my old jet fins but maybe a little better. I did just pick up a old pair of x-large jet fins at a garage sale for 3 buck and I am going to try them with my rock boots.

Charles

Just in case someone else is in the same situation:

I ended up with a pair of XL Tusa Xpert Zooms. They fit both the XL ONeill "rock boots" and a pair of size 13 chuck taylors with several socks.

I also tried XL Aeris Velocity fins, but they were not big enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom