Fins For Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I live in South Florida and there are a few places where you can do beach dives that take a bit of a swim on the surface. I was thinking of buying Force Fins or Bio Fins but a lot of the local divers say that they think the surface swim will be too difficult with either of those.That more traditional designs work better on the surface. I know these questions bring on heated discussions but any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks. Gary

You had it right in the first place. ForceFin Pro is probably the best fin for you, surface swimming is not difficult in that fin at all and the power that you will get from them is impressive, and you won't cramp up. I would not recommend spending any more money than the $220 for the Pros, you just don't need to. I am willing to bet the LDS tried to talk you out of them because they don't sell the ForceFin line so they do everything they can to disparage them to keep the sale in-house.

For long swims when continuous swimming is required is where the ForceFin designs really show their stuff. The foot pocket of the design allows maximum power transfer from the largest muscle groups in your body. This help minimize fatigue, cramping, O2 consumption, lactic acid production. Basically their is a reason that the Seals use that fin, guys that have to do long swims all the time and need the precision maneuverability and power know what they are talking about.

The Bio-fin, I bought a pair after the panels on the Atomics fell out. Based on the "Natures Wing" design which is a poor rip off of the Foil Force Fin but ultimately. They work well not because of the split, but in spite of it, Using Duct Tape to closed the split makes the fin perform about 15% better across the board. What this means, is they work because they are fairly long and flexible. They are ok for surface swimming, I never had any issues using them on the surface, but my ForceFin Pros were much better.

Been beach diving for years. My jets work just fine.
The key to beach diving is taking it easy on the surface swim out. Any fin will do, though I wouldn't go back to the full foot fin. Something about walking accross hot sad with no protection.

I snorkel from a sandy beach off the North East coast of England wearing full-foot fins. That's my personal choice and I would never impose that choice on anybody else because my criteria are likely to differ from everybody else's. Full-foots have served me perfectly for over forty years, matching my foot dimensions exactly and suiting the gentle style of swimming I prefer now I'm in my sixties. Incidentally, it's a myth that all full-foot fins can only be worn barefoot. Certain full-foot models, e.g. the Apollo Uni fin, are even designed to be worn over booties. The deciding factor is whether the fins come with roomy enough foot pockets to accommodate the footwear intended to be used to protect the feet. That's why it's always best to try on any fins for size, wearing the intended booties during the process.

As a beach diver and owner of Force Fins, I agree, they are not your best choice for surface swimming, especially face down they slap, slap, slap and are not especially effective. I would get a pair of full foot Mares Plana or similar and in fact do.

N

Nemrod,

What a slap by someone who purports to dive Force Fins. I turn the other cheek. How can you tell us other than what we have learned. I have no problems surface swimming with any of the 33 models of Force Fins we currently sell.

When beach diving in California, where we have surf, the goal is to get under and past the waves as quickly as possible. When on the surface there is more turbulence, so we drop down and swim our distances with a compass at shallow depths.

In any regard, the Original, Pro, Tan Delta or our new Flying Force Fin all have upcurved blades. It is against their resistance and rebound that you are suggesting that you might have to work against at the surface.

This same short, upcurved blade is an advantage when making surf entries and exits. You can enter the waves sideways, and exit running forward with your Force Fins on. This is a much safer and easier profile than walking backwards carrying your fins, and trying to take them on or off when churning in the surf as taught for the benefit of manufacturers who sell Terrestris Fins that can torque your knee or ankle if caught in the turbulence of a breaking wave.

Besides, how is it you have no logged dives, your not certified, yet speaking as if you think you are an expert in the use of my products. Well you can lead a horse to water but you can not make it think.

Last edited:
Aloha Gtto,

May I suggest you try a pair of Mor-Fins? They are the smoothest, most comfortable fins I've ever worn and I've been on over 7,000 dives. They don't twist your feet on the side to side action and they won't get tighter and tighter on your foot as you kick like the Force Fins do on me. They are reasonably priced, easy to travel with and are pretty much indestructible with a very simple, reliable, easy to adjust foot strap.

Mor-Fins come in sizes from small to XXL. I would say an XL should work well on a size 11-12 with bootie, L for 9-10, M for 7-8. I was wearing XXL's with my size 11 boots for a while just to see if the bigger size gave me better performance. Had a little extra room but they felt great, the increase in performance was negligible to me. (They are 5% bigger than the XL's.) I think you could almost buy two pairs of Mor-Fins for the price of one pair of FF's.

Not many people have tried Mor-Fins yet. They're still quite new on the SCUBA scene. They're simply the most comfortable, easiest kicking fins I've ever used and I've tried LOTS of different brands and styles in my 26 years of diving, including splits, FF, Jets, Twin Jets, Rockets, Rondines, Quattros, Turbo-Flex, Sea Wing Guerrillas, Manta Rays, Bio-Fins, Appollo's, etc., etc. Oh, and yes, they work really good on the surface...no slapping...unless you want to!

By the way, if you must make a long surface swim, I suggest doing it on your back most of the way, only turning over to look below when you need to. This is the most efficient way to go. I specialize in shore diving and have logged over 3,500 beach/shore dives here on Maui. I don and doff the fins when I'm chest deep. There's not usually a need to walk in and out with the fins on here even though we do get some big surf some days....after all it is Hawaii! I see no reason to walk around with them on but if you must, the Mor-Fins are easy to walk in too.

Try a pair. I'll bet you end up loving them. I just sold two pairs last night to a couple who was diving with me for five dives over the weekend. They had they're own fins for the first dive, then tried mine. Needless to say, their old fins are going in a yard sale when they get home!

Sorry to all the other fin manufacturers out there but in my opinion, Mor-Fins are the Superior Fin Design on the market today.

All the best with your decision!

Aloha,

Shaka Doug

Don't mind me...I'm just "Jacked on the Juice!"

Last edited:
Fins that have too much angle may be bad for surface swimming since they will be flopping out of the water a lot. I have the full foot pocket Biofin Uni and they work well for surface swims. I also use Picasso and Spetton. I have also used Mares Plana for many years. As long as the fin is good quality and rugged for shore diving. I am unfamiliar with force fins. Whatever you get, try it out for size and test in the swimming pool first.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/mfg-single.asp?urlslug=force-fins&rf=9&PKeyword=force%20fins&gclid=CPXho5LK7JoCFRYiagodNwOFCA

I do not think I have ever seen anyone wearing these fins, but they look interesting.

Beach entries and more importantly, beach exits, these fins pass muster very well.

Flipfins - Scuba Fins, Snorkeling Fins, Diving Fins, Rescue Fins, Military Fins, Swim Fins and Float Tube Fins!"

omega_fins.jpg

I've used them here in SoCal and Hawaii both. They are terrific fins for shore or beach entries.

I live in South Florida and there are a few places where you can do beach dives that take a bit of a swim on the surface. I was thinking of buying Force Fins or Bio Fins but a lot of the local divers say that they think the surface swim will be too difficult with either of those.That more traditional designs work better on the surface. I know these questions bring on heated discussions but any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks. Gary

Back
Top Bottom