Fins for a Key West trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My only fins are a pair of Tusa Solla full foot fins. I've used them for snorkeling in tropical waters and they're great for that.

I'm planning a trip to Key West in late February when ocean temps are typically around 75 F. I'll be completing my OWD classes at that point and plan some additional boat dives during the balance of my stay.

Not sure what to think about the water temperature and could use some advice. Cold weather and cold water don't usually affect me as much as other people. Do I still need to think seriously about getting boots and a set of open heel fins for this trip, or will my existing fins be adequate?

Your closed heel fins are going to be problematic on some boat dives. Bare feet are slippery and you don't want to be on the ladder like that. A number of injuries on dive boats are due to stubbed toes, something dropped on a toe, etc. Booties reduce those risks. Also climbing a ladder with open heel fins allows you to slip them over your wrists. Should you fall backwards you put your fins back on and swim to the tag line. Snorkeling fins often do not have the same amount of propulsion necessary to move you and your gear through the water. Your instructor should be explaining all of this. It's not all about temps in the keys. It's about protection from all the elements. I would never get in the ocean without a full suit of some type. Even if it's a skin. Jellyfish, coral, rust, barnacles, and even the mooring line can be pretty rough on exposed skin.
Since there is no shore diving in the keys you'll not need boots for that. But no way I would get on a commercial charter with a ladder I need to climb with full foot fins. Unless I could wear them with neoprene socks or boots.

I really like F1s with spring straps over Converse or Van high top tennis shoes.

Every dive boat in Key West is built for full foot fins. Every operator is used to them. It isn't that cold. My wife wears fin socks to keep her feet a little warmer, and because full foot long blades rarely come in anything smaller than an 8.

Wear anything you like. You wouldn't catch me dead in a pair of full foot fins, but there is no reason for you to go out and buy new fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom