fins, fins, God I need some good fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeris Velocity... less than 80 bucks at my LDS. They are not split fins but behave a lot like them in the water due to the Power Vents in the middle. I LOVE 'em.

i've got a pair of xperts. these were the cheapest splits in my part of town. i think they are great fins, but very easy to overkick. that is not to say that you lose power when overkicked, but they revert to feeling like paddles when you overkick them. other than that, maintain a small range flutter and you should be swimming circles around the paddles.

i would strongly recommend apollo biofins if you are going for the low exertion high speed benefits of split fins. these feel the most natural and require hardly any effort to use, regardless of current.

i have also tried the twin-jets and didn't like them very much. the surface area was too broad in my opinion, thus catching too much water and feeling stuck when you change directions or have a slight wobble in your finning style (nobody fins perfectly straight up and down right?).

anyway, definitely try fins out before you buy them wherever possible. if your LDS doesn't allow it, beg, borrow or steal from other divers on trips. trust me, you don't want to be stuck with a fin you don't like, unless you intend to be doing drift dives for the near to medium future. :p

I ended up getting the jet fins Maybe soon I will get the splits. But for now I think they will be ok. I haven't gotten a chance to use them but in 2 days I will for my third class. Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom