Fins/Boots buyers remorse??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

normdog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I decided to try something different than my scubapro split fins which I bought when first certified and have used for my first 250 dives. I spent lots of time here reading hundreds of posts with great info and decided to buy Fourth Element Amphibian Boots and DR XT fins.

The boots came first in the mail and I thought "holy crap" those are heavy-duty!! They are comfortable, but are pretty darn warm on the feet - in my house at least.

The fins came next and I thought "holy crap" those are heavy-duty!!

After re-reading some of the previous posts on here I'm thinking maybe I was taking some of the fin recommendations out of context as a lot of them are from people doing TEC, Cave, Drysuit etc, diving.

I only dive on vacation 3-4 weeks/year and always in warm Caribbean waters - Cozumel, Bonaire, Cayman, etc. I don't plan on ever having any interest in cold, cave diving etc.

I'm thinking of sending this stuff back and getting a more moderate boot and maybe some Atomic X1's or something.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

As a casual diver, unless you feel like you are missing something with your original gear, I wouldn't bother upgrading anything.

But those 4th Element boots are overkill for warm water diving. I use an old pair of these boots when I dive warm water but that's because I like the hard sole.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sstbslr/seasoft-sunray-3-mm-low-cut-boots-with-zipper-large-10

I would also suggest a light (weight) fin for diving unless you have floaty feet (unlikely when diving wetsuit).

Thanks Guru - I started to think about new fins when the divemaster on a Key Largo boat asked if I was really going to dive with split fins! Plus we all need a reason for new gear right?

I still dive with fins from 1988. They are heavy, and stiff, so that little fin movements are enough to move along.

Thanks Guru - I started to think about new fins when the divemaster on a Key Largo boat asked if I was really going to dive with split fins! Plus we all need a reason for new gear right?
What's wrong with splits? They are great for casual warm water diving.

Only reason I use blades is for more technical diving and need the control for specialty kicks.

He basically told me that they were worthless in current - I didn't seem to have a problem though! I have the XTs and boots packaged for return - I will probably buy some blades of some sort just to try something different. Any excuse for new gear right!

He basically told me that they were worthless in current - I didn't seem to have a problem though! I have the XTs and boots packaged for return - I will probably buy some blades of some sort just to try something different. Any excuse for new gear right!
That is correct; Split fins don't work as well as blades in current (though worthless is a little extreme).

Current hasn't been a problem for me in my Caribbean diving though.

I love my Atomic Blade fins. I have seriously been eyeing the X1s, but the research I did is the foot pocket is different. I think what I found is that they are taller for the same width. So, they would be better for a boot with a thick sole, but the regular Blade is better for the same size foot/boot, with a thinner sole.

I wear booties with fairly thin soles with my Blades and they fit great! I basically only use my Blades for warm water. I use Hollis F1s with a drysuit for cold water. So, I don't have heavy boots or rock boots that I would use with the X1s.

But, that is just what I recall from researching the X1 fins when they came out. I could be remembering the details wrong.

Regardless, I went to Hawaii for a week last April. So, fairly warm water. 3/2 mm wetsuit for me, anyway. I took my Blades and the freediving fins I got last year on Black Friday. I never wore the Atomics.

The freediving fins are awesome! I get better results with them on every kind of kick - including frog kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks - than I do with the Atomics or the Hollis F1s. Kicking forward is like having jet assist units on your feet!

I got Mako Spearguns Competition Freediving fins.

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

They're normally $90, but they were something like $20 off last year on Black Friday. For the price, I couldn't pass up a chance to give them a try. They are kind of a pain to travel with because they're so long. But, this model has removeable/replaceable blades, so I just separated the foot pockets from the blades to fit them in the gear bag I checked on the flight. Put them back together in Hawaii. No big deal.

I wouldn't generally use the freediving fins if I'm planning to go inside a wreck. But, for all other warm water diving, they have become my go-to fin. They are full foot pockets, so if you order some, get some neoprene socks to wear with them.

... I will probably buy some blades of some sort just to try something different. Any excuse for new gear right!

I highly recommend you take a serious look at Aeris Accel's. They are stiff, short and light for travel and do not lack power but are easier on my legs. The straps are as easy or easier to don as spring straps and a heck of a lot lighter. Check out this thread for a comparison experiment:

Fin experiment with totally unexpected results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom