Finning Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I'm thinking of getting Fins, but alot of pple ask me this Qn when I ask them for suggestion wat fins shld I get

" What kind of Finning Technique do you use ??" which I don quite get it. :confused:

I'm still petty new to diving (only been to 2 diving trip) :baby: So how many type of Finning Technique are they ??? :huh:

I usually fin up & down (freestyle method).

Pls enlighten me :)

Thks in advance

There are many many diferet types of finning techniques, but only a few common ones. The flutter hick, which is the most common, is porbably what you are used to. You also have a Frog Kick, which is a very easy kick to learn, that is highly efficient. I suck at describing things, so I will just include a link to a video.

http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/video/froglicks.htm

I personally always use a modified Frog kick, unless I am in a very strong current, then i switch to a regular Frok Kick. The modified looks like.

http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/video/modfrog.htm

The reason people are asking you this, is because some fins are more efficient with certain kicks. For instance, a split fin, while great with a flutter kick, is not as efficient as a large paddle fin when it comes to the Frog Kick.

Jamesk

Thanks for your reply.

mmm....just curious...from the video clip...it seem rather slow in term of speed ..it is really that slow???

unless we are doing drift diving...if not & "fighting" against the current wouldn't it be more difficult even for regular frog kick ?? :confused:

The modified Frog is not fast, you move about 50feet per minute. However, that is plenty fast for me. I like to slow down and look at things. Too many divers miss beautiful stuff by flying right by it. Plus, you will actually consume less air because you are not using as much of those powerful leg muscles to move.

The regular frog kick is great heading into a current. Plus, if you want to go faster than a modified will get you. Plus, if you kick and then glide, you are going to improve air consumption over just an all out balls to the wall flutter kick.

If I am going with the current/flow, I use the modified and simply use my feet to steer. This, IMO, gives me much more control then my legs hanging behind me trying to steer. You might find that different though.

I regularily use a frog and modified frog in heavy current. 3 knots is normal for some of the shore dives I frequent. Not the easiest curtent to swim against. An 'easy' full frog will make distance about the same as my buddies balls to the wall flutter. I typicaly do a very slow modified frog so my buddie can keep up.

Animian2002,

Just in terms of physics, if you look at the flutter vs the frog you'll see why the frog is more efficient. The flutter takes your energy and moves the water not only behind you (where you want it) but also above and below you (where you don't want it). You're only using a portion of your energy to move forward-not to mention the problems of being close to the bottom and silting up or smacking on the reef.

The frog kick moves most of your energy, water, directly behind you. That's where the gliding efficiency comes into play. When JamesK and JimC speak about air consumtion/efficiency, it's because of the resting element of the stroke, in addition to the force being directed where you want it to go.

I can't understand why this isn't taught more in basic OW classes. It's really no big deal to learn and many divers would benefit from it.

But with the flutter... your legs extend up and down into the flow of water to create drag with each sweep... not so with the frog kick.

Hey... be sure to call as soon as you get in.

Maybe I'll call tomorrow. What time are you in?

detroit diver once bubbled...
Animian2002,

Just in terms of physics, if you look at the flutter vs the frog you'll see why the frog is more efficient. The flutter takes your energy and moves the water not only behind you (where you want it) but also above and below you (where you don't want it). You're only using a portion of your energy to move forward-not to mention the problems of being close to the bottom and silting up or smacking on the reef.

The frog kick moves most of your energy, water, directly behind you. That's where the gliding efficiency comes into play. When JamesK and JimC speak about air consumtion/efficiency, it's because of the resting element of the stroke, in addition to the force being directed where you want it to go.

I can't understand why this isn't taught more in basic OW classes. It's really no big deal to learn and many divers would benefit from it.

neither do I :D. I was taught the flutter only :(
I'll try the frog & modified frog kick when I dive :)

Thks guys for all the advices

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom