Finished OW cert. this weekend at Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-mitch-

Registered
Reaction score
Got there at around 2:30am Friday morning and did first 2 dives that afternoon. All went well, did all the basic skills and what have you. A couple of people had equalization problems but they all got sorted out. On the second dive we did a little tour and somehow got seperated from our Instructor, but the DM gathered us all together and he eventually found us. That night was pretty fun, BBQ and drinks all around...most fun I've had camping in a long time. Next day we were up at 7 and into town for some Rudy's breakfast tacos :D I love one being so close. Did our navigation dives and a final fun dive with my buddy where we played around on the tube and swam around the row boat. Extremely fun weekend, and its convinced me to sign up for AOW and Master Diver at UTA next semester :D

Where any TSDers at Windy Point? There was waaay too many people there for me to try and find some of you...maybe next time :05:

So, did you have to pay an overnight camping fee for Friday night, or just the Saturday & Sunday rates? I know the operator can be pretty strict.

Windy Point's a great place for divers, and camping. What is this tube & row boat, something new to the park?

archman:
So, did you have to pay an overnight camping fee for Friday night, or just the Saturday & Sunday rates? I know the operator can be pretty strict.

Windy Point's a great place for divers, and camping. What is this tube & row boat, something new to the park?

Yeah, had to pay day and overnight charges for both Friday and Saturday. If you ask me, if you pay for camping it should be assumed that you are going to stay the day...And EVERY time we came back from town getting something to eat or something to cook he would ask if we paid/checked in for the day....it got really annoying.

Yeah theres a 3-4ft diameter tube suspended around one of the platforms and a little 2-3 person row boat too.

I like your 3rd picture, Jay...

Matt,
Small world-
I did my classes with University Scuba from 'Advanced/Master' diver through Instructor and a few technical classes.

Who was your instructor and DM?

Great program- classes are a semester long and access to a incredible pool. Few other sources have this type of access.

You are in a very unique position- learn everything you can and take advantage of the trips.

Regards, Andrew

Andrew Rowley
Retired NAUI instructor 37935

-mitch-:
Got there at around 2:30am Friday morning and did first 2 dives that afternoon. All went well, did all the basic skills and what have you. A couple of people had equalization problems but they all got sorted out. On the second dive we did a little tour and somehow got seperated from our Instructor, but the DM gathered us all together and he eventually found us. That night was pretty fun, BBQ and drinks all around...most fun I've had camping in a long time. Next day we were up at 7 and into town for some Rudy's breakfast tacos :D I love one being so close. Did our navigation dives and a final fun dive with my buddy where we played around on the tube and swam around the row boat. Extremely fun weekend, and its convinced me to sign up for AOW and Master Diver at UTA next semester :D

Where any TSDers at Windy Point? There was waaay too many people there for me to try and find some of you...maybe next time :05:

Mitch congrats on your certf.!! Welcome to the gang of fellow divers. Keep up your courses and continue to make those dives,,, UTA offers a good program, so take full advantage of it. If you are in need of additional scuba gear stop by our shop,,,be safe!

Crazyduck:
Matt,
Small world-
I did my classes with University Scuba from 'Advanced/Master' diver through Instructor and a few technical classes.

Who was your instructor and DM?

Great program- classes are a semester long and access to a incredible pool. Few other sources have this type of access.

You are in a very unique position- learn everything you can and take advantage of the trips.

Regards, Andrew

Andrew Rowley
Retired NAUI instructor 37935

:14: Our main instructor was Sean Weise but usually in the pool we switched around from Adam Fowler, Bill, Jim, and Steven. Chas instructed 3 of our dives at the lake. They are all really cool and I really enjoy class and especially the lake.

DM's were mixed as well, from a guy named Dickie to Hooda (Homer)...all really cool guys as well. And I agree University Scuba rocks:D

texdiveguy:
Mitch congrats on your certf.!! Welcome to the gang of fellow divers. Keep up your courses and continue to make those dives,,, UTA offers a good program, so take full advantage of it. If you are in need of additional scuba gear stop by our shop,,,be safe!

Thanks!

I will probably be in sometime for a new slate, I lost mine on the tube :(

Congrats Mitch! Windy is great place to learn. You could give Richard (the operator) a break, he has seen 10 bazillion people a year going in and out, he probably does not even waste time in remembering faces but he is a great guy. When we were there we just bought the whole weekend (it's like $35) and dove the whole time. I missed the tubes when I was there, maybe those are new. The nav is kinda cheesy there for newbs, you only need to know the depth becuase there isn't but 2 directions worth negotiating, slope on the left or slope on the right, LOL. Glad you had a good time, I think the camping is really part of it and makes the experience complete. It rained when we were there so we got what our instructor reffered to as "the full scuba experience" LOL. Rudy's breackfast tacos are good for $2 but beware of the salsa they put on them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom