Finished my open water c/o dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from a week in the Florida keys where I completed my open water check out dives and finished my open water certification. I must say it was an amazing experience and I could not believe the amount of luife that was on the reef....of course I have no frame of reference but for me it was amazing. SOme of the animals included a loggerhead turtle (which was probably the most spectacular siting for me: he was like a foot and a half away and swimming with me), 3 green morays (one which the dive master got me to pet), a few nurse sharks, many barracuda, tangs, angelfish of all kinds, two stingrays, puffers,.....and you get the idea. I did the open water certification with Lady Cyana Divers in Islamorada and they were great. However, after I was done I wanted to continue to dive and apparantly in the keys the dives are not guided. At this point I really didn't feel comfy without a DM in the water with me so I picked up the yellow pages and found a place called Paradise Charters in Key Largo. Apparantly they are the only dive op that has a Dm in the water at all times in the keys.

I used them on my last two dives and I can;'t say enough about them. Divemaster Jesus was just amazing....finding things down there that I never would have found on my own. Mollases reef was just gorgeous, which is where we found the turtle. Interestingly I was a bit chilly on those dives and not at the ones in islamorada.....I was wearing the same 3mm suit. hmmmm

Anyway, I'm going to be buying some gear because it just costs too much to rent and would like some feedback from the people on this board. Here's what I am thinking about at this point:

Suunto cobra (without compass), i was just thinking of getting a clip on compass for the BC. Atomic z1, with octo. and as for the bc I am really not sure....in key largo I was usindg a cressi aquapro 5
which i liked. ANy other ideas for basically an all purpose predominantly warm water bc would be most appreciated.
anyway, sorry to be so long winded about all this, but I am psyched about the dives that I just did. Talk to you all soon.

Nice report. Welcome to scuba and welcome to scubaboard.
Dive safe and often!

You pet a moray? I don't know if I would encourage that sort of behavior. Congrats on the certification. Remember not to touch things that bite!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom