Finished my DM!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations again.

I remember when I, too, was a DM and said I had no aspirations of being an instructor.

That time will come.

I think what is most telling about this thread and your comments is the difference between being a skilled diver and being a skilled teacher of diving.

Congratulations! From reading your posts, you have a lot to offer. My best to you.

dd

Congratulations! I'm sure you will be an excellent DM! I'm somewhat amused to hear you say that it is useful (or necessary) sometimes to break horizontal trim to "do something" (like help with a student's gear) etc.

The one place where I did have to change was accepting that helping with students CAN require a willingness to be something other than horizontal, and sometimes even dropping fin tips in the silt (it doesn't work very well to try to adjust somebody's equipment underwater, if you are neutral and floating . . . )

Its also a common mistake in GUE courses to try to remain neutral during the unconscious diver rescue drill -- even after students have been specifically instructed not to do that.

Nowhere have I ever been told by a GUE instructor to always remain in trim and never ever break trim, but somehow that message seems to get received by students to the point that they'll avoid getting negative or grabbing something in situations when it is actually called for.

No, I've never had an instructor tell me I couldn't break trim if I needed to. But it has always seemed that part of my job was to avoid needing to :) With students, you don't have that option.

John, it's so true . . . there's a huge difference between executing and educating. Doing the latter almost always enhances the former. I'm looking forward to Peter collecting some students, so I can begin learning.

Today marked the completion of the last requirement for my PADI Divemaster rating.

I think I did this as it ought to be; I have over 900 dives now, and a tech cert, and a Full Cave cert. I have something to offer students, both in terms of being a role model and in terms of information and experience in cold and warm water, in a variety of places.

I'm looking forward to doing the things a DM can do.

Last requirement? You made coffee! WTG!!! :D

Disclaimer: The facetious remark that I made was entirely meant in the spirit of fun. It was not in any way intended as a PADI bash.

Congrats! Your comments about students necessitating a bit of "chaos awareness" are spot on in my experience. In the end, it's always worth it when you realize you helped someone learn to love diving.

Something about the notion of the Borg Queen being a PADI DM just makes me giggle ...

... I couldn't be happier for you, Lynne ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah, i second bob. hee hee hee... congrats!

I remember when I, too, was a DM and said I had no aspirations of being an instructor.

That time will come.

I can see this developing 3K miles away...

I think what is most telling about this thread and your comments is the difference between being a skilled diver and being a skilled teacher of diving.

I totaly agree. I only wish that I was closer to the PNW for mentoring lessons. :)

Back
Top Bottom