Finished Divemaster, Did I just Make a Mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a DM in a non resort destination is a labor of love. Maybe you can ask the owner to cover your insurance?
Side note: Curious as to why the shop needs a DM at all given they only process 6 students per month.

That number is average, during the summer months its higher. They asked, I said yes.

I'm not just old. I'm old and a lot of other things too. And can you turn down your phonograph? It's too loud.
Right after I get off your lawn.

@myshadeofred
stated;
"I hate to be that person but I am...when I find someone who has been diving like a year and they are dive masters...bragging no less...I tend to not hang around them on dive boats or shore diving. Oh...and they are not good at buoyancy or diving courtesies....that is irritating. Just me... "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Agree- 100 %

myshadeoffred you have become my new best friend !
(who in the heck it Fred?)

SDM

To my knowledge DM’s aren’t really paid for classes except when doing DSD or re-activate but in my area some do organize and guide outings and collect the set fee per diver. That’s one way to make a few bucks.

I’m a DM (2004) that let my ‘professional’ status lapse years ago. I too was suggested into it by my rescue instructor.

I don’t think you’ve made a mistake. Working ‘professionally’ may not be something you want to continue, but you’ll always have that knowledge gained and the experience of helping with classes. Ultimately, you’ll be a better diver for those experiences.

If at some point in the future you decide to become an instructor, it’s a smaller step from DM, even though you may have to do some work to renew your DM status.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom