Finger spool: Plastic vs. Aluminium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Delrin spools by Terkel.

For the reasons Lynne mentioned, if you ever suffer from a case of the clumsies when your fingers are stiff and cold, either buy a Delrin spool or be prepared to say "screw it" when you drop your metal spool and it vanishes below you trailing out 120' of line or so.

In terms of rugged, how many of you have ever had a Delrin spool break on you?

I'm sure its happened, but its rare.

Biggest problem with metal spools that I see is simply that if you ever drop them you've got a PITA on your hands - you either jettison the spool and forget it, or else you deal with screwing around recovering it.

A spool that doesn't immediately sink if you drop it, but that floats there in front of you or sinks very very slowly, is much preferable to my thinking.

(Post Tobin-comment; I'm referring to a situation where you've removed the double-ender and are in the process of trying to blow a bag, when somewhere between start and gone you encounter "issues"...)

Your mileage may definitely vary...

I currently have my spool clipped off to my butt D-ring (no pockets on the drysuit right now) and I have plopped my tank on it any number of times. It's tough :)

Plus at what I payed for it, I'll just get another one if something ever does happen to it.

Doc Intrepid:
I have Delrin spools by Terkel.

For the reasons Lynne mentioned, if you ever suffer from a case of the clumsies when your fingers are stiff and cold, either buy a Delrin spool or be prepared to say "screw it" when you drop your metal spool and it vanishes below you trailing out 120' of line or so.

In terms of rugged, how many of you have ever had a Delrin spool break on you?

I'm sure its happened, but its rare.

Biggest problem with metal spools that I see is simply that if you ever drop them you've got a PITA on your hands - you either jettison the spool and forget it, or else you deal with screwing around recovering it.

A spool that doesn't immediately sink if you drop it, but that floats there in front of you or sinks very very slowly, is much preferable to my thinking.

(Post Tobin-comment; I'm referring to a situation where you've removed the double-ender and are in the process of trying to blow a bag, when somewhere between start and gone you encounter "issues"...)

Your mileage may definitely vary...

Doc,

There is very little I would disagree with. If you have Terkel spools there is a chance you have some PVC spools, I know Terkel produced PVC spools. If they are grey and not black that's a indicator that they are PVC. The Specific gravity of some grades of PVC can be as low as 1.2. That's less dense than acetal, and a little more dense than ABS.

I usually carry at least two spools. I have a 75' ABS spool rigged to my SMB, and a 150' SS spool for contingencies. The SS spool is just slightly larger than the 75' ABS spool, so it fits nicely in my pocket, but I seldom use it.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Doc,

If they are grey and not black that's a indicator that they are PVC...
I have PVC spools by Terkel!

(They're grey... :D )

They're both 100s. I use one of Larry Green's reels if I want more line...

I like'em 'cause they're slightly concave on the sides with the larger hole that fits my drygloves. Ummmm, I've also dropped the little suckers from time to time, trying to arrange the SMB, the line, and the spool in my right hand while going for the LP hose with my left, and since they don't immediately plummet into the abyss when I drop them I can reach out and re-grab them and avoid looking bad! :wink:

I also let go of the spool and let it spin in front of me while the SMB shoots to the surface. After the SMB arrives at the surface, I reach out and secure the spool. Trying this with a SS spool will subject you to public mockery..... :)

But if you think SS or aluminum spools are way cool, go for it...

(Just don't drop them!)

Doc Intrepid:
Ummmm, I've also dropped the little suckers from time to time, trying to arrange the SMB, the line, and the spool in my right hand while going for the LP hose with my left, and since they don't immediately plummet into the abyss when I drop them I can reach out and re-grab them and avoid looking bad! :wink:

I also let go of the spool and let it spin in front of me while the SMB shoots to the surface. After the SMB arrives at the surface, I reach out and secure the spool. Trying this with a SS spool will subject you to public mockery..... :)

I have heard of folks that drop their spools, but I have no personal, direct knowledge of such an event :wink:

Jokes aside, that's one of the reasons I like SMB's that orally inflate with a single breath, they are almost like cheating, very easy to manage.

Tobin

Thanks for all of the input. There's some very good advice here, most of it confirming my thoughts. The AL spools that I've seen are cool, but of absolutely no use if I drop it and loose it.
I'm not really that concerned with durability.... I'm sure I'll break it one way or the other. The respective prices of each type of spool will balance out the cost in the long term.
And considering that I'm mostly thumbs (especially with the gloves on), I know I'll drop it 2 out of every 3 times I deploy the bag.
So the choice seem obvious for my uses.

Now, to hijack the thread....

This spool will be primarily used to deploy a SMB. I'm in the market for something other than the lift bag. I've looked at the OMS SMB and some other similar items.
Is there any sort of consensus as far as what is easiest to use and most versatile?
What's in your kit?

soggydog:
[1] Is there any sort of consensus as far as what is easiest to use and most versatile?

[2] What's in your kit?
[1] No, there is no concensus. :)

There are closed circuit, open circuit, and a hybrid which is 'semi-open'. Closed use an LP hose to inflate, or you can orally inflate them (to a limited extent). Open use either your exhalation or more often use a 2nd stage beneath the opening. Semi-open use the same, but reduce the distressing tendency of the open circuit lift bag to layover on the surface and dump its gas, thereby gently passing you on the way down as you carefully are working your way up. (This tendency is eliminated in the open-ended 6'-9' sausages, that do not respond in the same manner as most of the open circuit lift bags.)

Take your pick.

[2] I primarily use a closed circuit SMB and lift bag by Halcyon, and have an open circuit lift bag from Carter.

IMHO a closed circuit device has greater utility on the surface, where if someone has issues on the surface you can inflate the thing and use it to respond to various emergencies. But YMMV.

Generally speaking there is no one best...you pick the best tool based on the job you're trying to do, and your own preferences. Some guys like open, some like closed, etc.

[/HIJACK]

DIR may be perceived as overkill for many, but they have put a lot of thought into their gear configurations, so I believe their advice is worth considering, especially with the explanation of the reasoning behind a decision.

My local DIR instructor recommends only delrin spools, for one specific reason (there are probably others, but this is the big one): You can crush/bend/destroy metal ones a lot easier, such as if you set your tank down on it. Delrin spools are next to impossible to destroy like that.

The metal ones are pretty (I have a really nice aluminum one from TDL, plus my SB delrin cheapie) but they cost more, and frankly, the DIR folks are right: They're a lot more fragile. Delrin doesn't bend like aluminum and steel does. And considering it's cheaper, too, it seems like a no-brainer to me. My next spools will all be Delrin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom