Finger Lakes Columbia MO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I've found a spot at Finger Lakes to dive that isn't too bad. It's not that deep, probably a bit more than 30 feet deep. But it's close to home for me, possibly others. I think I know of another site that might get down around 100 feet or so but it still needs checking into.

The one I'm talking about here though is easy to find. You go in past the gate and past the little ranger shack, keep going like you're going to the campgrounds. On the left after the swimming entrance is a fairly large quarry with large rocks that will keep you from driving right into the water.

Back up to the rocks and use them to set your gear up. Enter here. The visibility starting out will be maybe 5 feet, but as you continue on and get down to around 20 feet deep it will open up to 15 to 20 feet. You have to swim about 275 yards before it gets deeper than 15 feet, at that point it will go deep. The bottom is mud, the entry is pretty solid and I didn't get muddy entering or exiting.

So, IMO it's not a bad spot to dive, there's a few bass and blue gill in there as well. Don't hit the bottom and your visibility will remain good.

275 yards? And how deep is deep? Don't get me wrong, I am willing to dive this lake with you, but I am about 2.5-3 hours away. If nothing else, PM me and we will see about getting something set up.

Dark Wolf

Thanks for the update. I've been looking at this place for awhile because it is half way between me and SteveC who I do a lot of diving with. Cummings66, I got your post last year when you tried and said it was nothing but "stinky" mud. This is good news. Thanks again.

S. Nagel

The swim beach is very stinky mud, this one is better though but I'd still say the mud smells. The difference is you won't get muddy getting in and out of here.

So far I'd say 30 feet is the deepest of this particular spot. The other one that might be deeper according to rumor doesn't look to be easily accessible and you would be covered from head to toe with mud I'm positive.

When I said 275 yards that's to the first channel where it will get deeper, then it's probably 30 to 35 feet deep from that point for the next 100 yards or so. All told I'd guess it's maybe 400 yards long, but maybe 50 yards wide. It's mostly mud, but towards the back side it's got a few rock walls. The back part of it has a lot of clay where the front is more mud. But the entry is hard and rocky enough that you don't get covered in mud.

I'll be doing more diving there to explore it more fully and when I can figure out how to dive the other one I'll hop in there and see if the rumors are true about it being deep.

I think that is something I will have to check out sometime. Any new place to try is worth it to me. Thanks for the update...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom