Findings: Shadow, X-Vision, Mythos, M23 Viewtrek

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hudson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had the opportunity to extensively play with these (on the surface) so I thought I'd pass on my observations, primarily the FOV for each mask. I also tried the smaller sizes of X-Vision and Shadow. All masks were black.

First, the Shadow Mini and X-Vision Mid sizes are really for smaller faces. I don't think I have a giant head, but both were small for me. Actually Shadow Mini fit pretty well, but the nose pocket was too small and the field of view really suffered compared to the regular version. X-Vision mid did not fit at all.

All the masks offer good field of vision so the differences are miniscule. Having said that, Oceanic Shadow had the best FOV of them all, both horizontal and vertical. Tusa M23 Viewtrek had good horizontal FOV but wasn't as good on the vertical. Aqualung Mythos was just the opposite, good vertical but worse horizontal. Mares X-Vision was good on both the horizontal and vertical but the blocked corners felt a little claustrophobic with the black skirt, at least initially.

If you need a secondary mask, the Mythos has a very rigid frame that is really poor for folding and storing in your pocket. M23 isn't much better. Both X-Vision and Shadow were great in this regard.

Shadow comes with a slap-strap which is nice.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom