finding your best tank size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
--this question applies to single tank dives diving wet 7mm off of a boat --

Steel tanks come in all shapes and sizes - besides obviously using a tank that holds enough air to do the job at hand - what's the story on the different lengths and widths of tanks? Do you want a tank that reflects your body shape? If a person is tall and lanky do you want a tall and lanky tank? If that's true, then why?

I had my morning coffee and still can't grasp the concept here.

I plan on renting a few diff types before I buy, but I don't understand the basic idea of what to expect from different tank shapes.

Steve

SteveFass:
Hey all,
--this question applies to single tank dives diving wet 7mm off of a boat --

Steel tanks come in all shapes and sizes - besides obviously using a tank that holds enough air to do the job at hand - what's the story on the different lengths and widths of tanks? Do you want a tank that reflects your body shape? If a person is tall and lanky do you want a tall and lanky tank? If that's true, then why?

I had my morning coffee and still can't grasp the concept here.

I plan on renting a few diff types before I buy, but I don't understand the basic idea of what to expect from different tank shapes.

Steve

Hi Steve,

First off you will be hard pressed to rent any variety of cylinders in NY. Or anywhere else for that matter. Most dive shops do not rent steel tanks.

How to pick a tank is actually pretty simple.

1. How much gas do you need? That will determine the size volume you need.
2. Will you dive salt or fresh water?
3. Do you need a light or heavy tank. (this depends on your suit and your balast system)

For example. a 5'4" woman would not be put in a tall heavy tank. Whereas a 6'4" 300 lbs guy might be.

The most popular steel tank sizes for single tank - no stop diving are:

LP 80, HP 80, LP85, LP 95, HP 100, LP 108 HP 119, HP120.

much bigger and they get to uncomfortable to use as singles.

Hope that helps you.

Thanks Joel. I thought it was more complicated than that - something to do with tank height and the length of your torso. Good to hear it is simpler than I was making it out to be.

But that's really disappointing to hear renting options are limited here in NYC. I know you know NYC/LI diving real well. It might be easier to just give you a call.

You may want to consider the buoyancy characteristics of your exposure protection and yourself before you pull the trigger on a tank purchase.

I would speak with your dive instructor or LDS before you purchase tanks, otherwise you may miss out on an opportunity to buy tanks that fit your buoyancy characteristics particularly well and end up either positive or negatively buoyant to a frustrating degree.

If you're using a drysuit you may require more weight than a heavier tank just may accommodate, or, vice versa if you only dive warm water with a thin wetsuit. Perhaps try renting a few times just to try different varieties of tanks first?

I would buy tanks for the diving you want to be doing in 5-10 years, not just tomorrow.

SteveFass:
Thanks Joel. I thought it was more complicated than that - something to do with tank height and the length of your torso. Good to hear it is simpler than I was making it out to be.

Buy the tank that fits your torso best.

I am a 5' 4" with a shorter torso than most other folks in the same 5'4" range. The tank that fits best is the smaller footprint HP80. A LP80 or HP100 is probably the largest tank I can mount without givin up too much comfort.

Bottomline is: grith doesn't matter much however length matter alot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom