Finding wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How does one go about finding the known wrecks off their costal waters?

Dearman:

If you are looking for known wrecks, you can probably find lists and books published that will give the lat/lon's. Most of the books are fairly accurate. Some of the lists you can find on the internet may be off a bit. In my experience, the NOAA lists are the worst. Some of their locations are off, literally, by miles.

Dearman:
Alot of marine and tackle stores sell fishing maps with the info you're looking for :D

I'll start with fishing maps then. I haven't found much in way of diving related books for wrecks in Texas waters although I know we have plenty of them along our coast.

If I do an online search for a store would I call them nautical charts, maps, or something else? I know for aircraft, I would search for sectionals.

Dearman:
I'll start with fishing maps then. I haven't found much in way of diving related books for wrecks in Texas waters although I know we have plenty of them along our coast.

If I do an online search for a store would I call them nautical charts, maps, or something else? I know for aircraft, I would search for sectionals.
laminated area maps from your local marina should do the trick. and yes they are sectional. Most will give long and lat but the good ones give wreck sites in GPS. if the GPS location is off, use a fishfinder and bookmark it in your GPS

Try to find wrecks,some states like Wisconsin have seasonal mooring's on sites,some clubs do this and private opp's also,the State dose it to stop hooking wrecks and damage, Dive opps do this cause they cant screw with locating and hooking and its not safe and takes too much time.
Books can be a big RIP OFF! Ask me! some are old Loran No#s most useless if you dont have a Loran unit!,GPS No#s from conversions are junk too! I bought a book from a dive opp several years back and while at the show some other divers said you got screwed and I did=His no#s mostly junk!
Some local divers have GPS no#s but are hard to get them,We trade #s,others steal them like go on a dive boat and have a GPS in their kit to grab the No#s-dont let the boat opp find it or you may see it join da fishe's!
I have 3 years off good no#s up and down the west coast of Lake Michigan,some SE Florida Atlantic to the Keys -wrecks and reefs I keep one hard copy,one dive bud has a back up of most of my no#s and one copy stashed off site=too much work to loose!
Just got news some one trashed a local divers dive boat and stole his GPS-nothing else=OUCH!
And so now you have some No#s plan on a locator for non moored wrecks,or cut mooring's-a good wreck hook,and a keen eye! Its a blast!
Dive safe ,
Brad

Goose75:
Come to NJ, throw a stone in the water, dive where the stone lands and you'll find a wreck. :D Most people don't realize how many are here. Check this site out, www.njscuba.net TONS of wrecks and good info on them as well.

Goose75:

The boats I dive from have incredible navigational systems with thousands and thousands of objects listed in the database. GPS and a depth finder does the rest.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom