Finding the best prices on plane tickets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Plane tickets prices are certainly moving targets. Checking in every day on certain trip ideas, I see a different fare every day. It seems my best approach is to
  • Decide that I am going, dates, and destination;
  • Select a price I'm willing to pay - kinda' like a Buy or Sell target on a Stock or Commodity;
  • And when I see my target price, jump on it! :eyebrow:
I've been watching for tickets to Tampa in July for my family of 4. $340, $350, $345, $230 - Bought!

Watching for cheaper prices to Raleigh NC in October: $345, $350, $226 - Bought!

And I'm seeing some offers on my LAX flights for Labor Day Weekend, but wrong airline and wrong time. Watching like a hawk.

At times, I'll find myself committed to a trip and not find my bargain before I get nervous that the price will start going up. Sometimes I give up and buy at a higher price, cutting loses as compared to my target price. Overall, though, it's working.

BTW: Like many travel shoppers, I watch Expedia prices, then go to the company's own site to buy...
:D

Hey Don,
It seems you are doing the procedure just fine. There are times when you just don't see the prices droop and end up with a higher price. I also think you do the right thing by buying from the airlilne itself and here is why; If you purchase a ticket and the price drops you can get a difference in price voucher, but only if the flights are the same and you bought it direcrtly from the airline. This means Expedia,Travelocity etc. tickets the airline won't touch.... If the price drops $20.00 on a ticket and there are four of you that is $80 voucher you can use on another flight.

Good Luck
chuckrt

Chuck,
I do the price comparison and then buy from the airline. But, how do you apply for the voucher?

If you purchase a ticket and the price drops you can get a difference in price voucher, but only if the flights are the same and you bought it direcrtly from the airline.
Good thought! One more reason, on top of the extra FF-miles, etc. Hadnt' thought of that... :11:

...how do you apply for the voucher?
If you learn that fares went down after you buy, request a voucher by phone from the airline. The use it on a future trip. :wink:

I have noticed that if you change your departure dates you will see the prices go up and down dramatically. I moved my flight from Friday to Thursday and the price dropped about $300 apiece. Leaving on the early morning flight is also cheaper.

Yes, and I think shopping midweek is going to give better prices than Friday thru Monday.

Try using Yahoo Travel. They have a feature where you specify your location and then u can click on "my dates are flexible", and it will pull up the cheapest fares period...then you can click through them and find ones that are available around your dates. I use it alot to find out what the cheapest days/times are for a given destination and airline.

AggieDiver:
Try using Yahoo Travel. They have a feature where you specify your location and then u can click on "my dates are flexible", and it will pull up the cheapest fares period...then you can click through them and find ones that are available around your dates. I use it alot to find out what the cheapest days/times are for a given destination and airline.
I do this also and works really good.

domino22:
I do this also and works really good.
I used to play the air fare game, then I found sidestep.com. Try shopping at midnight to 2:00a Weds. morning on sidestep and you will always find the best airfare.

Works great on hotels and resorts too. Autos are limited to the USA, so doesn't help on dive trips.

SideStep saves an incredible amount of time and money.

SterlingDiver

Back
Top Bottom