Finding employment in OZ as a newly certified Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone! I just joined Scubaboard and I have a question for you. :cool:

I am a Rescue Diver looking for doing my Divemaster internship and IDC in Spain (Canary Islands) next fall. I am thinking of staying there 4 months (Oct-Jan), do at least 150 dives, and also gain a EFR Teacher certification and at least one speciality. After that (February-March) I would like to go to Australia (Cairns/North Queensland) for one year and try to find a job there as an instructor. So I was wondering how difficult it is as a foreign newbie instructor to enter the industry Down Under, considering that I already work in the tourist industry up here in Norway and I have several years experience as a tour guide for cruise tourists, and speak fluent Italian (my mother tongue), English, German, Spanish and Norwegian. I was also wondering how much I can hope to earn and what the living expenses would be, for food and a room in a shared flat? I have of course thought of working in hotels/catering on the side.

I know it would be best to stick around at the school where I completed my education for a while, but I only have two years time to apply for an Australian Work and Holiday Visa, which would allow me to work there... so I don't want to miss this opportunity!

I hope someone will be able to give me advice! Thanks :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom