Finding a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THart

Reaction score
I live near Madison, WI, and from checking at my LDShops...I can't find anyone that has drysuits to try on. I am 6'4" 280lbs and size 14 shoe. That is my problem. I am very nervous about buying a suit online...because I just can't seem to find one that is exactly my size. I have also noticed that there really isn't that many off the shelf suits that get my size. Ideally I would like to find a rubber suit...(just what I want) Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Thanks.

I'm 6'5" and about the same weight and also require a size 14 rock boot. I don't consider my self obese, just 'full-figured'.

I couldn't find anything, from any vendor that was considered 'off the shelf' for my size. It seems to me all the dry suit manufacturers subscribe to the insurance size charts for their 'standard' sizes which state that according to our weight we should be 8'6" tall. The manufacturers all seem to think that XXL is 5'10" tall and 175 pounds!

Anyway, I ended up going to DUI Dog days at Wazee Lake this past summer and tried the only suit they had that worked for me, and I tested it out (it wasn't a stock size, just a really BIG custom-built one they use for guys like us). I had them measure me up and ordered a custom TLS350 from my LDS which fits great. Unless you get lucky finding a used suit you may have to go the custom route.

You may also want to be aware that with a size 14 rock boot, you may not be able to use your current fins. I have XXL Atomic Split Fins and no way did that rock boot fit in the pocket. I looked around and the only thing that I could find to fit were some XXXL Turtle Fins. I got them with add-on spring straps and they work perfectly with the bigger boots.

Good luck!

High Tide is a custom drysuit manufacturer that makes very high quality suits especially suitable for your local waters.

Did you look at Amron Explorer?
Their XL is superlarge. I have used just about every rubber drysuit on the market and this one is way bigger than anyone else's XL, it would call it an XXL at least
I bought one on ebay in perfect condition and I am about to sell it again as it's too big for me
I am 6'0" and 250lbs and the suit is too tall and too wide for me
Boot size is probably a 12 or 13, so may be too tight for you
great quality rubber suit though, tough and sturdy, with a protective flap over the zip
regards,
frank

PS
my suit is for sale in the classifieds section of this website, with a picture
You can see how big it is.
Normally I am a tight fit in a L and a slightly loose fit in an XL for almost any other brand
I would say my Amron XL is about a Viking size 5 or so

I also know someone who has a never used Northern Diver Thor rubber suit in XXL and I think it has size 13 or 14 boots as it was custom made. He quit diving due to family reasons.
I think it would probably be around $1,000
Do you want me to check for you?
You can email me at nicolausfrank@hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom