Finding a buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merrypig

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been mulling this question over on my own for some time, and finally figured the easiest way to solve it is to ask the rest of you :)

In brief, I passed OW a couple of years ago now, AOW last May - but really haven't logged any dives since. I learnt and dove with my spouse so we buddy each other fairly well but sometimes our schedules don't match up and we aren't always able to go when we want to.

So, I'm looking to find some one else I can buddy up with to do some casual diving in and around the NE Texas area ( Tyler State Park, CSSP, Athens would be the main candidates I guess). The thing is I'm still 'new' so for me, I don't really dive with a 'plan' to see or go anywhere particular on a dive. I really just want to have fun and be in the water :)

But I feel guilty - I don't want to hold back a more experienced diver who has more ambitious plans on a dive (or more familiarity and wants to be more adventurous perhaps than I'm ready for); but I also don't feel like I'd be the best match for a newbie who might be looking for someone to lead a dive either.

I know I'm a little rusty, but do still feel comfortable that my knowledge is up to scratch so I'm too concerned about 'being a safe buddy' - it's more about enjoyment and goals of others on a dive.

Anyone have any ideas, or indeed perhaps looking for a relatively new diver to buddy up with?

It's so frustrating having a house full of dive gear gathering dog hair! I mean dust! :)

Ian

you came to the right place there are a bunch of older more experianced and younger less experianced that divre the local area and are always looking for buddies.

We'd be happy to dive with you and your wife, Ian. Just watch this section and you'll see where we're diving and when and you can make plans accordingly. Welcome to Scubaboard! :)

Most dives that we do in Athens, CSSP or TSP are "let's surface swim across, drop in by the wall, descend to 20' or so, take a slow cruise along the contour toward the south, first one to 700 lbs signal". You wouldn't cramp anyone's style on these dives, come on and dive! If someone is doing a specific skills or training dive, they wouldn't be joining on these dives anyway. Don't worry, there is always someone who will buddy with you, and have a good time while they're at it.

Foo

You are ALWAYS welcome to join any of us Swampers on a casual fun dive,,,,just got back from CSSP today doing that very thing!

What they said :D Seriously, though, watch this forum, and when you see some of us going out to CSSP, feel free to join in. We're all about being laid back and taking it slow and easy. We never have an agenda, it's all relaxation time to us, and you're more than welcome to join us. Matter of fact, I logged over 2 more hours of bottom time today. Water was in the low 80's down to about 25 ft, then was in the mid to high 70's after that. Another great day in the water, had a great time diving with Truckdiver and mongoose, as well as visiting with texdiveguy.

I used to have the same concerns that you do. I put off diving for a couple of years because I didn't think I was good enough to sign up for a trip or just find someone at the lake to dive with.

I freaked big time during my OW certification and I was always afraid I would do the same when I hooked up with someone to dive. I got over that though.

I'm happy looking at rocks in five feet of water, as long as you dont muck up the bottom.

Don't feel bad. My wife was certified a couple of years ago and is just now getting back in the water. It seems that we ran out of money, and therefore, couldn't dive...uh bummer. I'll be at CSSP on July 2nd. Come on out and dive with my wife and I...it'll be a gas!!!

*smile* Thanks all for the great encouragement. This is exactly what I hoped to hear.

The 2nd might or might not work for me since I'm already under the hook to get the house etc ready for the annual july 4th party that we host for my wife's department at the uni here. But I'm pretty sure I'll be up for a trip real soon!

I'll keep my eyes on the board for trips out!

Cheers all
Ian

Hey Merry if I am not working I will be glad to join you if you do not mind diving with another realtive newbie. Just throw a post up to let us all know and I am sure someone will be there to go with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom