Find the fish game! Using John Hoovers "Hawaii's Fishes"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very carefully?

Didn't notice that there were two fish with the same name....we are so limited with only 12 letters :idk: oh well

Yeah, we need to get a few more to play....suggestions on how to make it more open to all?

Perhaps we change the game to a more theological discussion of "our bibles" and include the "new testament" The Ultimate Guide" (Hoover, 8/09 rev)?

[c]
P10100772.jpg

This is ~ a 5 foot long, over 80 lb barracuda, off Mokapu Beach a few years ago[/c]

[c]
P10101301.jpg

This is a juvenal barracuda near Knob Hill a couple years ago[/c]

Are the barracuda with very different colorations really all the same species? I am currently seeing big barracuda (~6') at "Food Land" who have the very black fins.

According to the Florida Museum of Natural History ....

FLMNH:
The black spots on the lower sides of the great barracuda distinguish it from other species of barracuda

So, are these the same species? Does the first picture above show black spots on the lower side?

:confused:

Looking at page 17 of my Hawaii's Fishes, or page 11 of 'Ultimate', does Hoover's pic show lower side black spots?

Last edited:
My answer would be: Although the fish shown on page 17 does not have spots, in the text below it, it states that the fish can have irregular spots, meaning each fish is truly unique.

Back
Top Bottom