Finally some real instruction!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that I think about it, I get the feeling "pook-pook" ("puk-puk"?) was a portable generator, not a compressor. I'll ask my dad, if I remember, next time we talk (he's the one I heard the story from): I think it comes from somebody's memoirs...

@dmaziuk
Thank you for the B-29 story- I had heard about the Russian copy for many years never had it verified-
Great read of some lost history.

One of my old friends was the President of the Orange County chapter of the AOPA C) where General Curtis Le May of the WW11B-29 fame had also retired..
It was a huge honor to have General Le May as their guest speaker at the annual banquet. As they were setting at the head table my friend's wife who knew nothing of aviation history turned to General Le May and asked if he also flew airplanes ? He replied 'Yes" She inquired "What kind?" He replied "Great big silver ones"
Her husband delighted in repeating the story at every opportunity...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@captain
Would this have been the same compressor ?
You have been around a long time
Do you recall the Skin Diver Magazine (SDM) advertisements in that magazine for the Cornelius compressor ? As I recall they were from the 1950s and 1960s maybe even into the 1970s. It was almost always the same advertisement-- a young man kneeling next to the compressor who looked like Sam Le Cocq but it wasn't Sam but a darn good resemblance.

SDM

Sam, military aircraft used compressors manufactured by Cornelius, Kidde , Stuart-Warner and possibly others, no one manufacturer could supply enough during the war..
The US Divers 1958 catalog list a Cornelius 130-R1411 compressor powered by either a 2.5 PH gas engine or 1 HP electric motor rated at 2.0 CFM for $800.
In aircraft use they were driven by a 200 volt 400 cycle AC motor.
Similar compressors are still in use today in aircraft.

The F-4 Phantom II had a small lightweight 2 or 3 stage 3000psi compressor for the basic pneumatic system & a few emergency items, like bottles for the emergency landing gear extension. It was driven by a hydraulic motor. I don't remember the cfm.

Captain
Recall I was a Captain In the USAF during Korea ….but never bothered with compressors

Thank you for the US Diver reference -- My dear wife has the house in turmoil with a redecorating and remodeling. My reference books are packed away -- some where ?

As I recall this is the same compressor marketed via the pages of Skin Diver Magazine (SDM) for a number of years.. once again boxes block the access to all my SDMs- which would be easy to verify as soon as the madness is over.

Therefore would you check your SDMs of 1950s & 1960s for this particular Cornelius compressor ?

Cheers from CenCal

Sam Miller, 111

Sam, I wish I had still had my issues from the 50's and 60's. Many years ago, not foreseeing the future, in a fit of house cleaning madness they went into the trash bin of history.

Oh the joy of hind sight !

I was fortunate ! I wanted to document the growth of a sport -- never realizing this would consume my life and a room and then some in my home --- Every Year since the initial issue of SDM in 1951 I library bound all of my SDMs along with that years catalogs.
I guess we will wait for wife Betty to finish her redecorating

It is past time for the beach with dong Lucky

Cheers from CenCal

Sam
ps ND beat Michigan last Saturday

LSU 33
Miami 17

:)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. We too are in the middle of renovations and I've uncovered a book authored by an old acquaintance of your's @Sam Miller III .
"Invitation to Skin and Scuba Diving" by John D.Craig and Morgan Degn.

Book cover scan.jpeg

FYI
Sam, you may remember our conversation about Roland Reviere being the man who brought scuba to New Orleans as a US Divers dealer in the 1950's. Our fellow scubaboard member Couv worked for Roland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom