Finally have the C5050 and PT-015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgiddings

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally, after a long wait to get the $ funds, I bought the Olympus 5050 and the PT-015. Just in time to have it replaced by the 5060, oh well. I needed it for Tahiti anyway and the 5060 wouldn’t be available in time.

I am off to the Tahiti Aggressor in 10 days and can’t wait to try the setup. I have been reading the message boards and they are a huge help since I am new to digital and new to underwater photography. I am fairly experienced with regular SLR’s but not underwater.

All of you have been a great help making the learning curve a little less steep.

There are several of us here with new 5050's when the new model was released. If it wasn't for us, that new one would never have hit the shelves! :rofL:

Best advice I can give you shoot until your finger bleeds! Take as many pics as you can topside, getting used to where the buttons are and what they do. When you can change setting without having to look at the camera to find it, then start practicing with the housing. The buttons are really stiff in the housing and lots harder to push. If anything makes me change to the 5060 it will be the different position of the flash and +/- buttons for easier use in the housing. Maybe my hands are just too small but it's really hard for me with the housing.

Dee once bubbled...

If anything makes me change to the 5060 it will be the different position of the flash and +/- buttons for easier use in the housing. Maybe my hands are just too small but it's really hard for me with the housing.

Dee, I think this is where dual handle tray is much easier than single handle tray. On my Ike housing, there is about 1.5-1.75 inches space between the handle and housing. To access the button on the side of the housing, I found it is quite easy to hold on to both handles with just 3 fingers on either side, leaving my thumbs and index fingers to manipulate all the button.

ssra30 once bubbled...
Dee, I think this is where dual handle tray is much easier than single handle tray. On my Ike housing, there is about 1.5-1.75 inches space between the handle and housing. To access the button on the side of the housing, I found it is quite easy to hold on to both handles with just 3 fingers on either side, leaving my thumbs and index fingers to manipulate all the button.

I tried that technique and it just doesn't work for me. Even with the left handle moved all the way in, my fingers don't reach around the grip and to the housing. So I'm planning to move the handle out and to push the buttons I'll just have to place my hand between the handle and housing, bracing my hand against the handle to push the button(s). So far working the dial knob with my ringht hand hasn't been a big problem.

Sealkie
Yes, lots of batteries and a good charger are in order. I am now down to counting the hours until we leave!

Dee
The flash and +/- buttons on the housing are a little annoying, but I think my hands will be big enough. I am also setting several flash settings in "my modes", but I'm sure I will have to adjust the aperture frequently. I'm not sure of just going on "P" mode. I like manual (one reason I bought the 5050). We'll see once I get the setup wet.

I also want to test the manual white balence trick to see if I get better colors.

- JG

I'm still playing with the My Modes settings to try and get around pushing so many buttons. And agree, Manual is my preference.

I just recently bought C-5050 and also ordered Light and Motion Tetra 5050 housing at the DEMA show. Hopefully I will get the housing on-time for my Bonaire trip in Nobember.

I'll be sure to post my revew and sample pics when I get back (providing I ahve the housing by then)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom