Finally have the C5050 and PT-015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAMedicBill
to explain in simple terms is that the larger the mega pixel is the larger pictures you can take and have blown up and print also some quality improvements but most people can do just fine with 3 mega pixel or more Dee on this board can explain real good and some others better than me .

Bill....With experience using Olympus C-3040, C-4040 and now C-5050 cameras, I think I can compare 3MP, 4MP and 5MP qualities.

As a general rule the higher the MP the better but alot depends on what you're going to do with the pictures. If all you intend to do is share your pictures in email, post them on a website such as this one, or make regular prints no larger than 5x7 for an album to show your friends, then a 3MP camera is great. If you want larger prints like 8x10 or larger to hang on the wall, you'll have to go to 4-5MP.

As for quality, alot depends on the compression you used when taking the picture but if you'll choose the higher compressions, such as HQ or even better SHQ, working with the pictures has more possibities. I'm referring to such things as cropping, enlarging and cleaning up using one of the editing programs such as Elements. You'll be able to take fewer pictures at the higher compressions but after the first few dives you'll get past taking hundreds of shots at a time! For instance, my first few dives with a digital I took about 120 pictues per dive...it was so cool not to run out of 'film'! Now I choose my subject better and take anywhere from 40-70 per dive.

I recommend to get the largest MP you can afford. That way you aren't restricted later on when your needs or wants change. Even though digital cameras are evolving at a very fast rate, new models coming out every 6 months or so, these digital cameras are very hardy and last for years. I have an old Nikon CoolPix 880 that still looks brand new and takes excellent pictures that is 6 years old...it's still going strong! If a housing for it didn't cost $600+ I would be using it.

Dee, that is my problem also. I have an old Nikon Coolpix 880, but the ikelite housings for it is pretty pricey. I would have loved to have gotten a housing for the Nikon as that would be fine. Not to mention you need to add a strobe to it as it does not use the built in flash. Then I just got myself a c-5050 and the PT-015 housing. Just needed an excuse to upgrade. :)

I was reading that the manufacturer suggests replacing the o-rings once a year. Does anyone know where to get them?

Anywhere that sells the housing should have the O-rings available. I forgot to order a set when I got my housing so I ordered mine from Yuzo at UWDigital in Japan when I ordered my Fisheye tray.

Try Ryan at Underwater Camera Pros

So is it always recommended to stick with the manufacturer's o-rings or can I use o-rings of an identical size if I have them? Not sure if the type of material the o-ring is made of is critical?

As far as I know it's always recommended to stick with the manufacturers o-rings but if you want to take a chance on flooding everything, try it and see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom